Delete

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKCS

Ok, got it running palced in the water, and went to turn and it kick a little and the went back to straight, found out a little about fluid dynamics.

I was using the servos that came with the receiver, and they were, 3003 (go ahead and laugh), finding with any forward movement with the boat it will straighten the rudders and turning is not possible.

So the question is, what servo?

Boat 45" deep vee, surface drive, OPS 90. How big of a servo (steering) do I need go to be able to steer this critter?

And next thing, ever buy to much and then can't find your stuff, so now I have to buy more starter belts. Got tool box now so I can organize..

Fuel pump (manual or electric)? Filler caps, to make filling it easier, or a filler bottle? What is the opinion?

Info is power, so if anyone wants to enlighten me, go for it.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: :lol: OK, that out of the way, I haven't had a good 3003 yet, nothing but trouble.

Find a good servo (actually 2 as you're going to want to ditch the other 3003 for the throttle) that has a good 100 oz.in. of torque. Funny thing is that the 148 is the same size and has the same torque and speed numbers but is much better.

Fuel pump, your choice. The hand crank ones seem to be more reliable, that's why I have 2 electric pumps on my box.

1/4 scale servo if it will fit in the radio box. Plenty of power and will last a long time.

Hand crank on fuel pump for sure.... That six-shooter one has worked for me for years,.. it's a little slow but nerver failed on me.

Senior

I perfer the "6 shooter" to other pumps as they do not last as long with the higher nitro content.

With the bigger servo and higher torque make sure you are using at least a six volt battery. :)

Steve

Hey SKCS,

I would suggest a Futaba S3305. It is a standard size servo and should fit in place of the S3003 your are currently using. It has 99 oz-in torque with a 4.8v batt. and 124 with a 6.0v batt. Either way (4.8v or 6.0v) should be enough. It has metal gears and 2 ball bearings. From Tower hobbies it is $37.99.

This is the same servo I use in my 1.00 SGX and 1.00" Seaducer with out any problems.

FYI- Make the pushrods as straight as possible with as few bends as you can get by with and use a 4-40 size pushrod. ;)

The Dave Brown "6-Shooter" hand pump is a good chioce as it is VERY reliable but it is slower than some hand pumps and e-pumps, but I never liked the thought of nitro going through an electric motor.

Remember this- If you have a spare for everything you'll never need it. Funny how true that is sometimes. ;)

-Buck-

I use an Airtronic 94359 servo it has 200 oz of tork and it a standred size servo..More than enough to do the job...

I run Hitec 645MG's in my monos without any trouble so far up to 60 mph but I've got some 5995TG's like Michael suggests coming for my riggers. I figure they might need some more grunt to turn them.

Cheers, Danny.

BUCKSHOT said:
Hey SKCS, I would suggest a Futaba S3305. It is a standard size servo and should fit in place of the S3003 your are currently using. It has 99 oz-in torque with a 4.8v batt. and 124 with a 6.0v batt. Either way (4.8v or 6.0v) should be enough. It has metal gears and 2 ball bearings. From Tower hobbies it is $37.99.

107564[/snapback]

The 3305 is a POS in my opinion. We have seen every single one fail that was tried in a boat application. These were put on the market specifically for the car guys as a cheap alternative to the high quality 9405. The car guys destroy steering servos like crazy & at $75 a shot the 9405's were too expensive for them, Futaba was losing alot of business to Hitec. Aslo the 3305 will NOT work with 6 volts, Futaba says 4.8 volt only. If you can squeeze it in there go with a Futaba 3302 1/4 scale size. At 6 volts it yields over 200oz. of torque plus you get the strength of the larger gearset, a BIG plus steering any bigger hull. :)

I like the KO Propo high torque servo. It's in a standard size case and has over 150 oz of torque.

As for a fuel pump, I've been using something differant than most racers. It's a blood preasure bulb that I use to pressurize the fuel can which forces the flow. When it's full, just disconnect the line and the flow stops. To defuel, hook it to the pipe pressure hose. Just be careful not to over pressurize metal tanks. I've had the same bulb for 15 years.

OK great info. What is the opinion for the HiTek HS-700BB?

And I will be getting a hand pump this week, I see warehouse hobbies has one. Is there a better source?

Also, idea on the batteries, should I put in a seperate battery for servos and then one for receiver/ I think this would be a good thing..

Beryl

And I will be getting a hand pump this week, I see warehouse hobbies has one. Is there a better source?
Have you checked with Tower Hobbies? They offer worldwide shipping via UPS.

Also, idea on the batteries, should I put in a seperate battery for servos and then one for receiver/ I think this would be a good thing..
The death of either would suck. Separate batteries would mean more wire, more connections and more chances for things to go wrong. I think more important would be to make sure the battery you use is high quality with adequate capacity and good, solid connections.

Don Ferrette said:
BUCKSHOT said:
Hey SKCS, I would suggest a Futaba S3305. It is a standard size servo and should fit in place of the S3003 your are currently using. It has 99 oz-in torque with a 4.8v batt. and 124 with a 6.0v batt. Either way (4.8v or 6.0v) should be enough. It has metal gears and 2 ball bearings. From Tower hobbies it is $37.99.

107564[/snapback]

The 3305 is a POS in my opinion. We have seen every single one fail that was tried in a boat application. These were put on the market specifically for the car guys as a cheap alternative to the high quality 9405. The car guys destroy steering servos like crazy & at $75 a shot the 9405's were too expensive for them, Futaba was losing alot of business to Hitec. Aslo the 3305 will NOT work with 6 volts, Futaba says 4.8 volt only. If you can squeeze it in there go with a Futaba 3302 1/4 scale size. At 6 volts it yields over 200oz. of torque plus you get the strength of the larger gearset, a BIG plus steering any bigger hull. :)

107638[/snapback]

To each his own. But no problems on this end ;)

-Buck-

Back