Cutting a Flex Shaft

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter12195

I searched the whole history of this forum and was surprised to not find a single thread on this subject. I'm sure there are many many answers but I'd like to know how other people are doing theirs.

I hold the end that I am going to be cutting off in a vise and slowly cut through the shaft with my Dremmel cutoff wheel. Then dress the end to a rounded shape on my grinding wheel. Then I dab the end in some JB weld and dress that out on the grinder after it dries.

Now, It's ya'lls turn.

Next!

Scott Norris

I silver solder the area that I'm about to cut to keep it from unraveling and use a Dremel cutoff wheel.

first I cut it with dremel and then solder it with radiochack silver solder. Remember to wash the it carefully with detergent or soap to neutralize the flux.

Gill

I cut with this pair of cutters. Cutter No more farting around with the dremel. This cuts through 1/4 cable in a flash. Then I solder up the end and clean it up on the grinding wheel.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to solder the cable but after reading this thread, I tried the JB Weld idea and it works like a champ.

Do you just use the JB weld to keep the end from faying or do you use it to make the connection to the stub instead of soldering the 2 pieces? :huh:

I snip the end off about an 1/8" shy of the final length with a wire cutter then finish the end with the belt sander. Then I dip the end in plumbers paste flux and gently heat the end with a torch and dab it with solder till it flows in about a 1/4" then wipe it off with a shop rag.

Old Nitro Fish said:
Do you just use the JB weld to keep the end from faying or do you use it to make the connection to the stub instead of soldering the 2 pieces? :huh:
100521[/snapback]

Just using it on the Collet end to keep the cable from fraying.

Back