creeping needle

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunk t

I'm looking for suggestions to help keep a screw type highpspeed needle (screw type implying you use a flat-blade screwdriver to turn it) from creeping out of adjustment. As the engine runs the needle vibrates itsel into a leaner setting. the worst I've experienced is the needle leaning itself nearly a full turn through a tank of fuel.

I've thought of using paint or a low grade thread lock; but I'm curious if anyone has a suggestion for something that has worked for them in the past.

chuck

I have used zip ties around clicking type needles to make sure they do not move. Also used fuel tubing around picco needles to keep them in place. Not sure what type of needle we are dealing with here. Pic would be nice.

Mike

Is the needle inclosed in the brass tubing?? Maybe a fatter Oring?
Kroggs, correct it is in a brass tube. It is an O.S. carb. I kind of tried your suggestion, I didn't replace the o-ring with a thicker one (locating such was more effort than I wanted to dedicate to the task), but I did swell the original o-ring. Didn't seem to help a whole lot.

I think i'm going to try using a paint and seal the edge of the needle.

I had the same issue with my OS max. A nice guy at a rc race told me to put a little bit of teflon tape on the threads. So I cut a small strip just enough to cover the threads, worked it into the threads with my fingers and put it back in the carb. It worked great. Make sure you put the tape on such that when you are threading the needle in it tightens the tape on to the threads. It does not take much tape to do this. Hope this helps.

I had the same issue with my OS max. A nice guy at a rc race told me to put a little bit of teflon tape on the threads. So I cut a small strip just enough to cover the threads, worked it into the threads with my fingers and put it back in the carb. It worked great. Make sure you put the tape on such that when you are threading the needle in it tightens the tape on to the threads. It does not take much tape to do this. Hope this helps.

BINGO B)

BINGO B)
You and your bingo....

You local hardware store has Orings. But not in all sizes. Depending on your engine. worth it to CK

I suppose if all else fails try putting your O.S. needle in a Don Ferrette remote needle base. I rubber mount engines and use Don's remote bases w/ the O.S. needles haven't experinced the problem you described.

Glenn

What i did after experiencing the same thing with vibrating needles and leaking needles was i just cut the needle off and used red lock tight and screwed it back in. Then used a OS inline needle and that fixed it for me. Or change carbs. Just a thought

Latest posts

Back