Cowl molding with Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCOTT WITHERELL

When I made my 1st (3) cowles I used poyester resine with white gel coat,12 - 15 min working time was not enough, to lay out the resine and cloth, It would jell up on me before I got half done . or didn't get all the rinkales out in time . Now the Epoxy I like, ( west system) lots of work time to do all that.+ hardly any oder( wife liked that).The first epoxy cowl I just pulled, was the best one that I made so far, could be a little better. The next one is going to be put in a food saver bag , and be vaccum sealed on a food saver machine. I'll let you guys know, how it works out on a new thread.

So you are building these in a female mold? If so now you are applying a coat of epoxy resin in the mold first as a "gel" coat is that correct? Nice looking boat by the way.

When I made my 1st (3) cowles I used poyester resine with white gel coat,12 - 15 min working time was not enough, to lay out the resine and cloth, It would jell up on me before I got half done . or didn't get all the rinkales out in time . Now the Epoxy I like, ( west system) lots of work time to do all that.+ hardly any oder( wife liked that).The first epoxy cowl I just pulled, was the best one that I made so far, could be a little better. The next one is going to be put in a food saver bag , and be vaccum sealed on a food saver machine. I'll let you guys know, how it works out on a new thread.
Hey, sending you a PM on this guy.

So you are building these in a female mold? If so now you are applying a coat of epoxy resin in the mold first as a "gel" coat is that correct? Nice looking boat by the way.
Yes , I put down two coat of epoxy first with a brush(,45 min between coats),Then I put the third coat on lite and cloth while the epoxy is nice and wet. If the cloth looks a little dry I'll add some more epoxy.

Goin to try this on the next cowl.

(Stuff in a food saver vaccum bag and vaccum the air out tight and seal). I think this will help keep the cloth down on those tight edgesand cornes.

Back