Coupler CMB

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randoon

I have an engine to 1/4" square drive coupler from Marine Specialties and it's well made, but it's a monster. Where can I find a coupler that doesn't weigh a ton for a CMB .67 to 1/4'' drive?

I have an engine to 1/4" square drive coupler from Marine Specialties and it's well made, but it's a monster. Where can I find a coupler that doesn't weigh a ton for a CMB .67 to 1/4'' drive?
www.aeromarinerc.com

"Where can I find a coupler that doesn't weigh a ton for a CMB .67 to 1/4'' drive?"

Randoon,

Here is a pic of the square drive collet Lenny sells - I didn't see a pic of one on his site. I agree - best I've ever used. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

your working with an 1 cyl motor. 360 degrees with only one bang and two or three blades in the soup , and your going to lighten the flywheel? not me.

I might have one Randy, If I do It's yours. Let me look.

Glenn

Glenn
Haven't found it yet Randy- may have got tired of looking at something I was never going to use and tossed it. If I do find it I'll send a P.M.

Glenn

your working with an 1 cyl motor. 360 degrees with only one bang and two or three blades in the soup , and your going to lighten the flywheel? not me.
You bring up an interesting theory Gene and it sounds sensible. The reasoning behind what I want to try is that I can hear the smallest tone difference between my boat and the real fast ones and since mine weighs 17.5 ibs. I figured it was already loading the prop nicely and I thought I would lessen some of the spinning weight to make up the difference. I could be wrong so I'm bringing both to the next race to experiment. Thanks Gene. Randy

You bring up an interesting theory Gene and it sounds sensible. The reasoning behind what I want to try is that I can hear the smallest tone difference between my boat and the real fast ones and since mine weighs 17.5 ibs. I figured it was already loading the prop nicely and I thought I would lessen some of the spinning weight to make up the difference. I could be wrong so I'm bringing both to the next race to experiment.
please post your results. " they say " one pound of racipacating mass is equal to 7 pounds of dead mass. I think a heavy boat in rough water would benefit with a heavy flywheel or spinning mass. smooth water maby not.

You bring up an interesting theory Gene and it sounds sensible. The reasoning behind what I want to try is that I can hear the smallest tone difference between my boat and the real fast ones and since mine weighs 17.5 ibs. I figured it was already loading the prop nicely and I thought I would lessen some of the spinning weight to make up the difference. I could be wrong so I'm bringing both to the next race to experiment.
please post your results. " they say " one pound of racipacating mass is equal to 7 pounds of dead mass. I think a heavy boat in rough water would benefit with a heavy flywheel or spinning mass. smooth water maby not.
OK Gene, will do if the new one gets here in time. My thinking is drag racers shave off as much rotating weight as possible and their tech notes say rotating mass robs horsepower, so i guess we'll see. Will we see you at the Marysville RCU race this weekend? Hope so. Take care, Randy

Glenn
Haven't found it yet Randy- may have got tired of looking at something I was never going to use and tossed it. If I do find it I'll send a P.M.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn, but I've got one in the mail.

Gene, You should have come to Marysville the weather and water were perfect. Anyway, I got a tune on the boat using the larger coupler, then I switched it out for the new (lighter) one. I had to lean out the low end needle a bit to get it to come out of a slow mill in a hurry, but it accelerated quicker out of the turns. Although the gain was not huge, I liked the difference in performance. Randy

Last edited by a moderator:
Gene, You should have come to Marysville the weather and water were perfect. Anyway, I got a tune on the boat using the larger coupler, then I switched it out for the new (lighter) one. I had to lean out the low end needle a bit to get it to come out of a slow mill in a hurry, but it accelerated quicker out of the turns. Although the gain was not huge, I liked the difference in performance. Randy
Randy, went to monroe with unw, good meet also, wanted to go to marysville sunday but to many home projects. we have a joint race coming up. see you then. gene

Back