Couple more FE newbie questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
Ok, so my FE tunnel is ready to get wet, heres the info I need. I know this isnt an exact science, but I need some rough figures.

What is the highest temp that is ok for the Speedo (barracuda 125, water cooling plates added)? posibbly a range?

Same question for batteries and motor. I am going to start with 3800 Nimh (12 cells), and then possibly Lipo's later down the road.

The motor is a Neu 15 series brushless.

What is a safe temp for these to come in at? at what point do I have damaged goods?

Using a Raytec temp gun

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep motor temps to less than 120 deg F. Although I have been told that neus can sustain more than that. Cells Nimh....no more than 150 deg. That's sprint racing temps. Speed-o I am guessing that the castle can hold 100-120 deg but that is just a guess.

When and if you go to lipo....you might need to change motors or prop down depending on the Kv of the motor. You will sustain higher V with the lipo's but the internal resisantance is much less than nimhs so basically your equipment will not heat up as much. The safe operating temps for lipos is up to 140 -150 deg F but I don't like to trun them that hot. 110-120 is much safer.

On Neus 60C or 140F is very safe. Mr Neu suggests you worry as they approach 200F. If you can get them to 140 with cooling you may find changing your setup gets you more volts -> rpm and speed

If you can heat a Castle 125 with water cooling to more than warm your setup has problems at a continuous 100-120 amps we have no problems with heat in 105 degrees f ambient

Thanks for the answers guys, thats what I needed.
~James

James, do yourself a favor and keep the motor temperature below 120 F. Be very careful of the motor temp, the magnets may be damaged above this temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back