Cooper Pipe With 2 Stingers Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would like to know if anyone has cut of the duel stinger can off and used a external muffler? i have ran it stock and it was OK,but i think it would be a much better pipe without all that back pressure.
Michael, I designed the dual stinger pipes to be very quiet and to have less back pressure than the single outlet pipes, not sure why you would cut the 270 degree deflection chamber off to replace with a noisy can muffler?????

moby dickk
i have only used this pipe a few times and spoke to a guy that said he was not concerned about being louder and gained more performance by taking of the stock 2 outlet can.from my 35+ years of running nitro engine's a quiet restrictive pipe with lots of back pressure will never go faster that a free flowing pipe.i have opened up the outlets to a much larger size(.470) but have not tried it yet.
Michael

Perhaps U could enlighten me in your following post, .from my 35+ years of running nitro engine's a quiet restrictive pipe with lots of back pressure will never go faster that a free flowing pipe.i have opened up the outlets to a much larger size(.470) but have not tried it yet. , please share with me your thoughts on the difference in (a pipe with lots of back pressure, VS a (free flowing pipe).

Thanks

dick

would like to know if anyone has cut of the duel stinger can off and used a external muffler? i have ran it stock and it was OK,but i think it would be a much better pipe without all that back pressure.
Michael, I designed the dual stinger pipes to be very quiet and to have less back pressure than the single outlet pipes, not sure why you would cut the 270 degree deflection chamber off to replace with a noisy can muffler?????

moby dickk
i have only used this pipe a few times and spoke to a guy that said he was not concerned about being louder and gained more performance by taking of the stock 2 outlet can.from my 35+ years of running nitro engine's a quiet restrictive pipe with lots of back pressure will never go faster that a free flowing pipe.i have opened up the outlets to a much larger size(.470) but have not tried it yet.
Michael

Perhaps U could enlighten me in your following post, .from my 35+ years of running nitro engine's a quiet restrictive pipe with lots of back pressure will never go faster that a free flowing pipe.i have opened up the outlets to a much larger size(.470) but have not tried it yet. , please share with me your thoughts on the difference in (a pipe with lots of back pressure, VS a (free flowing pipe).

Thanks

dick
most pipes i have seen and used,car,plane boat,if the pipe is some what restrictive it will not RPM high enough or fast enough.I took a MACS 13cc nitro pipe on a modified CMB .91 VAC engine with the stock size stinger and then tested it with a stinger that was opened up to .470 and there was a big difference! i understand that in maybe some applications that some extra back pressure may help.i think maybe in a 4 stroke motor it may help with TQ,but 99% of 2 stroke motors i like RPM'S,and throttle response i know some racers like more TQ so they can spin a larger Dia. prop.sorry i was not knocking the pipe,i did not have much experience with it and wanted to know what other peoples idea's were.i race a Top sportsman car (REAL) 1/4 &1/8 mile and like like doing things outside the norm and i do the same in R/C modeling.i will try anything to see how much i can get out of it and learn something at the same time.thank you to all that have replied.that is what makes hobbies so great and so much fun!!

My experience is with pipes for gasoline engines. The most significant difference from modern nitro engines is that they start with a low to moderate performance. The standard modifications to gain power, even on an engine like the CMB 35, increase the rpm a lot. That increases the flow through the engine and always requires a bigger stinger. I've made a lot of pipes with screw in stingers to test this. A simulation program suggested a larger stinger would give more power on a particular engine and pipe combo. It turned out that this was more true in cool weather than under hot conditions. A better stinger design uses a venturi that can be changed depending on the conditions. See below.

Lohring Miller

Nozzle.gif

My experience is with pipes for gasoline engines. The most significant difference from modern nitro engines is that they start with a low to moderate performance. The standard modifications to gain power, even on an engine like the CMB 35, increase the rpm a lot. That increases the flow through the engine and always requires a bigger stinger. I've made a lot of pipes with screw in stingers to test this. A simulation program suggested a larger stinger would give more power on a particular engine and pipe combo. It turned out that this was more true in cool weather than under hot conditions. A better stinger design uses a venturi that can be changed depending on the conditions. See below.

Lohring Miller

attachicon.gif
Nozzle.gif
i think the reason for a larger stinger in cool weather is that there is more oxygen in the air and you need to add more fuel which in turn makes more power and it needs to get out.

The cooper pipes work excellent in Monos. 45 was great pipe. But got smokin hot

They are horrible in hydros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Chris, If U saw my plus 20 some year old Andy Brown designed (EAGLE SG 80) with my (COOPER PIPE) set @ 10.00 inches, I believe U would have to eat those words, at the last race I ran it, even Andy Brown commented on how fast my old boat was!!!!

Mobydick

moby dickk
Michael

Thanks

dick
most pipes i have seen and used,car,plane boat,if the pipe is some what restrictive it will not RPM high enough or fast enough.I took a MACS 13cc nitro pipe on a modified CMB .91 VAC engine with the stock size stinger and then tested it with a stinger that was opened up to .470 and there was a big difference! i understand that in maybe some applications that some extra back pressure may help.i think maybe in a 4 stroke motor it may help with TQ,but 99% of 2 stroke motors i like RPM'S,and throttle response i know some racers like more TQ so they can spin a larger Dia. prop.sorry i was not knocking the pipe,i did not have much experience with it and wanted to know what other peoples idea's were.i race a Top sportsman car (REAL) 1/4 &1/8 mile and like like doing things outside the norm and i do the same in R/C modeling.i will try anything to see how much i can get out of it and learn something at the same time.thank you to all that have replied.that is what makes hobbies so great and so much fun!!
Michael

When U are comparing different pipes, U can measure the out sides of 2 different pipes that will give U a lot of info on how each pipe will perform . If U measure the MAC 13cc and the COOPER PIPE, U can see what the sonic wave is doing just based on the design of the different pipes. The MACS has 1 angle on the header section, then a flat cross over section, a second angle at the rear of the pipe, terminating at the tail pipe. The COOPER PIPE has 2 angles, on the header section, then a flat section, then 2 more angles at the rear of the pipe, terminating at the tail pipe. AS the wave has to follow the inside pipe wall on exiting the engine, the 2 angles allow the wave to speed up much faster exiting to the center flat section and then part of the wave is sent back to the engine exhaust port, and part is sent on to the final angle of the rear cone and returned to the engine exhaust port. The key to all of this is the heat of the wave as it relates to the exhaust wave, the hotter it is the faster the wave speeds up and if the pipe is not right, length and design, the engine will only rev to speed of the wave.

JM2CW

moby

Dick the 13cc MACS dose not have a flat cross over section and it has two front angles and one rear angle. The stock stinger is .435

Where you running that Cooper pipe you cut the muffled section off of ?

Last edited by a moderator:

moby dickk
Michael

Thanks

dick
Michael

When U are comparing different pipes, U can measure the out sides of 2 different pipes that will give U a lot of info on how each pipe will perform . If U measure the MAC 13cc and the COOPER PIPE, U can see what the sonic wave is doing just based on the design of the different pipes. The MACS has 1 angle on the header section, then a flat cross over section, a second angle at the rear of the pipe, terminating at the tail pipe. The COOPER PIPE has 2 angles, on the header section, then a flat section, then 2 more angles at the rear of the pipe, terminating at the tail pipe. AS the wave has to follow the inside pipe wall on exiting the engine, the 2 angles allow the wave to speed up much faster exiting to the center flat section and then part of the wave is sent back to the engine exhaust port, and part is sent on to the final angle of the rear cone and returned to the engine exhaust port. The key to all of this is the heat of the wave as it relates to the exhaust wave, the hotter it is the faster the wave speeds up and if the pipe is not right, length and design, the engine will only rev to speed of the wave.

JM2CW

moby
hi dick, yes dave is correct,the 13cc pipe meets in the middle,not like the 15cc pipe that has the 1" belly. i have always been interested in the nitro tuned pipes (boats,cars,planes). i know everyone has there favorite pipes and i have seen 1 pipe work on one hull/engine combo and another guy running the same combo can't get it to run the same.i have a pipe i call "Frankenstien" it it half ops/and half macs that i ran in Sport X back in the early 90's and it was the baddest pipe i have ever ran on a .90. one day i will give it a try in a .90 rigger and .90 mono just to see how it does. i also was a big fan of the old Macs muffled pipe with the flat back on can..so many pipes..so little time..
default_sad.png

Back