Collisions and crashes

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklimpel

All;

After 20 years of running rc boats, and more rubs and outright collisions (some my fault Im told) than I can count..the summer of 2002 was the first year any of my boats sank! Lucky for me it was in 8ft of still (but really dirty!) water vs the 30ft river I would normally run in.

I recovered it pretty easily. (but it sucked!!)

The boat I hit made it back to shore with major damage. (It was actually amazing it not only was still afloat..but still running)

-I will be posting the actual eventlist of this collision since to this day the guy I hit insists it was 100% my fault. We need an informed jury!!

Has anyone else's boat sank??

Did you find it?? What caused it??

In a rigger collision, I don't imagine there is too much left over to collect. (?)

I am now a believer in the extra few .oz of flotation!!

Also,

How much rubbin' is racin'??

I do my best do avoid everyone as much as possible..and do well...but there is always going to be a 'nudge' sooner or later.

Last summer, a fellow racer 'rubbed' my boat pretty hard (left some paint)... but then apoligized for the rest of the day. I didn't care. It's all good. But the weekend after..two guys wanna kill each other cuz they traded some paint at WOT.

Where do you draw the line??

I just witnessed my old .21 mono I sold to my friend sink. He was running wide open in the back straight away and for what ever reason the boat drove it self under water. Since he had a large splash gaurd around the carb the boat probably traveled a few feet under water before stalling out and never came back up. It had plenty of floataton! He never did get it back.

As for rubbing and crashing, that's always gonna happen. Some people will handle it w/class and some w/none what so ever. My advice is always maintain your lane, drive to your ability and you'll be o.k.

My 1/8 scale 1965 Ms. Bardahl got ran over yesterday in our first none sanctioned race. It wiped out the reat tail, broke my rudder and split the rear transom. The guy apologized and w/class offered to fix it. Now that was cool. Doesn't make me less angry my boat got hit. But, he also could have walked away and said nothing.

I can't give an opinion on the race scene as I live in the back woods of Maine and have yet to actually SEE a race worth mentioning.

I had a nice drag style boat once, past tense. I made it from single layer carbon cloth and the thinnest, lighest aluminum hardware I could make. I trimmed the engine down and ran the lightest gear I could find. I wanted a flat-out straight line dragster just to see how fast I could go. On the 5th or 6th time I took it to the lake, barely even fine tuned yet, it discovered a mostly submerged floating stick about 4 inches around. Needless to say, the results were spectacular. It literally dissintegrated instantly. I managed to eventually find the motor but little else. I guess I shouldnt have foregone the floatation huh?

I've never seen a boat sink ( except one of my sail boats) but I did see

an E rigger lose a .67 OPS when another rigger T-boned it. Ripped it right out of the boat, motor mount and all. Has any one seen a wooden

rigger sink?

It's just too bad we're not as professional and as perfect at driving as the Nascar boys! : :) Racing is racing and it's a lot harder judge things when driving a missle from the shore than when sitting in the cockpit. ;)

I have seen a wooden rigger sink at the Aussie Nats last year. The boat hit a bouy then the tub snapped when it hit the water again just behind the rear boom. The rear half (engine, radio gear, rudder, strut, prop etc) sank. :'(

It is a good idea to have those empty compartments at the rear of the tubs filled with floatation. Could be the difference to losing it all....

Ian.

As I am new into the hobby, how does one practice NOT to hit or rub paint with others? I'm looking to race this season, but I am still leary to run with others with the fear of recking someone elses boat. I know that accidents happen, but what hints or tips can be given to a rookie like me so I can become a better driver from the start? :-

Thanks,

Andy

Andy,

I know just how you feal right now and you just have to remember that weve all gone through this period. I hope you have a good local club with some experienced racers in it. Just let them know what your concerns are and ask one of the mere experienced members to coach you when your on the water. Most if not all will be very willing to do this. A good one will be very calm and composed with you. Just pay attention to what he says and drive the boat.

Andy,

New people should neer be afraid to race. There comes a point like Don said where everyone goes through this point. Go to your local raceclub meeting and meet some of the racers. Tell them how you feel and before you know it these guys will be volunteering t Pit for you during the race.

The pit guy will start and launch your boat. As you drive he will be behind you coaching you on steering, throttle, deadboats etc...this really makes driving easy for newbies.

Good luck 8)

Back