cold weather and needle settings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david dudley

Is it harder to get the right needle settings with lets say 50 deg temps? Had the hardest time trying to break in my new motor. By the way my new vision is one sweet ride

2.25 on the needle blubbery fat about half tank seems to lean out or runs out of fuel(bogs down) checked the tank three times no air leaks yes i would not have this proplem if it where a fe :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Check to see if there is any air leaking by the carb, if not go richer or put it on the self until the snow leaves.

TL

Will the low speed needle cause this issue? Your correct Tim i will most likely just put it away till spring dont need to hurt the motor

David,

Try some lighter fluid to help ignite the nitro or use

Less % of nitro. I boat well into the winter and I have

No issues with these two tricks.

What propeller are you running?

30% will run better.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Mark would 30% work better then 50% for a better needle (forgiving) setting prop is a 53 gr two blade

I thought cold air was more dense,. allowing us to burn more fuel, hence a richer setting.. hmm... maybe I need to do some more reading

i cleaned this thread hopefully i wont have to again. lets keep this simple and clear read the tittle to the thread keep it that way..

julian

I thought cold air was more dense,. allowing us to burn more fuel, hence a richer setting.. hmm... maybe I need to do some more reading
anthony, that's what rick was saying. you need a fatter/richer needle in the cooler temps. he meant that if you don't do that, it will be lean.

David,

Is the 40 x 53 propeller stock cup?

It will work much better with less cup.

If you want I can fix this for you just send it to me.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark hit the nail on the head going down in nitro as the temperature drops. When I lived in MN we ran 35-50% and living in Florida my range is 50-65%. Got caught at Charleston a couple years ago and 75 degrees went to low 40's the next morning and we just couldn't richen enough. In retrospect I wish I had 35% that morning as the boat just went out reving and died twice in different heats in the mill. High nitro and cold temps along with oil viscosity make your power tunning band very narrow.

Mic

mark & mic are dead on. i keep 65%, 50% & 30% on hand, so i can run later in the season up here. lower nitro fuel lights off MUCH easier in colder weather!

Thank you all for the info I have some 30 at the house I will give it a try when I get home Yes the prop is stock once im done running in the motor I will send the prop to you

Back