Nova Rossi .12 marine needle settings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward Drock

I'll be getting a Novarossi .12 and contacted Nova Rossi USA for a manual but they don't have one nor could they help. dose anyone here know about what the break in needle settings would be and the about run needle setting would be? It's the marine motor.

Thanks for all the help.

I'll be getting a Novarossi .12 and contacted Nova Rossi USA for a manual but they don't have one nor could they help. dose anyone here know about what the break in needle settings would be and the about run needle setting would be? It's the marine motor.

Thanks for all the help.
This is my 2 cents take it or leave it.
There is no exact needle setting for break in. You will want to get it and leave the low screw where its set. About 4 to 6 turns out turns out on high needle depending on elevation and nitro content. . Then heat the engine up to 200 degrees or so with a heat gun start it. You will most likely have to loosen glow plug to start these and its a good idea to use this method to not damage engine. then tighten once running. Then try to get it to run by messing with throttle position and low needle to get it up and running at around 240 to 260 degrees for 3 tanks after 1st tank put the piston bottom dead center and let it cool completely. then heat it back up with heat gun and run another tank put piston bottom dead again and let cool completely. Then heat again with heat gun if still real tight and run the 3rd tank and see how tight the pinch is . You could go and run it after 3rd tank on the water just don't hold it pinned yet until the pinch eases up // up to 10 tanks. Also you may not need any water cooling as you need to get it to run at around 240 on the water as well. you can go back to start with stock low needle setting as it will need to be richer when you get load on it in the water. Usually on most carbs the low needle will be flush or close to when its at stock setting. an occasional small rev is ok but not revving to the moon while breaking in just blips when breaking it in on bench. . it will be finicky for a while but you will have to have someone on the throttle keeping it running and you messing with temp gun and low needle to try to keep the temps up . Also you will have to keep dumping out the pipe because it will be full of oil every few mins . it will take a few runs to get a hang of the small engines. They need to have the heat to burn the fuel and once they get up to temp you have to make sure your not too lean. its a fine line but once you get it it will be reliable and scream. I know you didn't ask about break in . I just thought I would share my Thoughts with you . Thanks Dave

Excellent write up David...

I follow the same pattern when breaking in any nitro motor, and usually just use a standard "clicker" needle in the carb feed line.

disabling the 3rd channel keeps you from getting the urge to lean it out while running on the water. Take the time to run several tanks
thru the motor, sneaking up on the needle one click per tank and you will be rewarded with a nicely fitted piston and liner..

David's advice is great. To add to his post, Glenn Quarles has a video on YouTube showing his method of initial bench break-in on a Nova .12 SCT engine with detailed info explaining why and what's he's doing. I don't have the link for it, but a YouTube search may work. Also there are several threads on this exact topic that have been posted on IW recently. Search IW for Novarossi engine break-in info and the threads should come up. Those have excellent tips and info from other knowledgeable boaters running Novarossi Engines.

Back