CMB steel Pipe

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckshot

Has anyone tried or thought about trying the CMB 35Rs petrol pipe on a .91/1.01 nitro motor?

-Buck-

Buck,

The CMB 35 pipe is huge and heavy. Its aleady too big for most heat racing set-ups. I ended up shortening mine my removing the band section and could probably use a little more removed. It also has a special spherical flange which is a really nice feature, but requires the mating header which would be a pain to reproduce.

The AB 90/100 billet pipe is on the right and shortened CMB pipe on the left. Note the CMB pipe doesn't even have the 6" muffler attached which comes with the motor package. The 35 with the steel pipe does a lovely nasty snarl to it though.

med_gallery_4990_236_344737.jpg

Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the info.

Your gas boat is of impressive size! What is it 50"?

If I were to run a gasser it would be that CMB motor. Very cool how it's built like a nitro motor!

-Buck-

Thanks Buck,

Its a 48" monster alright. The CMB is pretty healthy and it's built like a scaled up 90/101. It does suffer from crank twisting at high RPMs, but is very impressive. Its not terribly fast running around 70 mph, but its sound and size make it an impressive sight to see run.

Tyler

I know what you mean about crank twist. You'd think that they would index the crank flywheels with some kind of key insteed of just a pressed fit. I have twisted a few on the 100/101's.

-Buck-

I know what you mean about crank twist. You'd think that they would index the crank flywheels with some kind of key insteed of just a pressed fit. I have twisted a few on the 100/101's.
-Buck-
We used to have our cranks welded a rebalanced on the 1100 Kawasaki, don't know if thats an option with this smaller motors.

Alan

I am not sure that no allow use belt on CMB35Rs (gas) at NAMBA rule: must use pull start :rolleyes:

Allan,

The CMB 35rs is classified as a GX-2 motor in NAMBA where "stock" rules do not apply like the G1/G2 classes. The disk valve would also be illegal in stock classes. Since there are not enough GX-2 hydros (i think I may be the only one in D19) I run the big rigger in the open class against any and all other types of motors and hulls.

Buck,

I have thought about welding the crank, but Mitch @ QD has been kind enough to work on the cranks for me if they are twisted or need repair. CMB does sell the parts individually which is nice becuase a new crank cost about $500.

med_gallery_4990_235_508261.jpg

med_gallery_4990_235_511024.jpg

Lohring and Mike Bontoft went one step further and added a third bearing support on the output side which helped in their saw boat.

Tyler

Latest posts

Back