CMB Outboard Mounts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike McKnight

Ok so I'm curious since I have not run any outboards really for about 5-6 years. Is anyone still running one of those custom mounts for a CMB HR motor on a K&B lower? Are they even still available?

Mike,

Its really about the lower unit more then the power head.

As a backgound, Both OS and Thunder Tiger do not need any type of custom mount, nore would you want to change that.

The K+B lower unit has a great hing plate but as you know its nice to have some type of adjustment.

Im sure Octrura still sells one..Likey Dubro as well.. I like mounts that dont move the lower back to far. Those are good choices.

Grim

there not available. I was working with a machine shop and i had several on hand for him to base it of but i could never get any interest in them so i scratched it..

Mike,

You are talking about a 7.5 motor arent you? Are you looking for the bell housing conversion?

I speak of the 45. Back when we had a larger contingent of B Mod (45) tunnels in district there were a good number of guys that ran the 45 on a modified mount to fit the K&B lower. The class has fallen by the wayside in the last few years and I was curious if there were still any of these in other parts of the country.

Mike.

Key here is to use engines with thin flywheels that keep the overall engine mass closer to the lower unit. Typically, CMB RS engines have been used in the past for this very reason. The HR engines will be required to be at least another couple of inches "in the air" above the lower unit and I believe will cause lateral CG issues when going into a high speed turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

We hardly ever see one here on the east coast. Their were two conversion kits that were popular. Ernie Lafiuer made a bell housing style that bolted to the front of a evo-rs style CMB. It required some minor machining to install. Jim Irwin made one that bolted on the engine mounting lugs. Jim's version included a lawless lower unit that could only be used with this conversion. Both to my knowledge are out of production.

If interested I have one new bell housing left that I'd sell. I'll take 75.00 plus the shipping.

Mark

Hi Mark,

any takers on the CMB bell housing you have on offer, if not, I would like to buy it from you

thanks

Shane

It's yours. Get me your address, I'll get you the shipping charges and we'll get this going.

Mark

Back