CMB 90 Liner removal

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ids987

Supporting Member
Hi everyone, just looking for some liner removal tips please. With the CMB Evo style engines, if the liner doesn't pull out easily, I usually use a cable tie in the exhaust port (after removing the C-Clip, but leaving the pin in place), doubled over, and / or across and looped into the boost port; then turn the engine over with spanner on coupling to shift liner. So far this has always worked for me, and I've never caused any noticeable damage.

I started dismantling a 90 yesterday, however, and it's particularly stubborn. Several cable ties in pieces, and no sign of the liner moving.

I guess heat is going to be involved, but it's a AAC P/S set, so liner expansion will be much the same as the case; though i guess the case will get hot first. Also, if it doesn't loosen up much, it's going to be a lot more difficult to try and use physical means on a hot engine.

Might try again with stronger cable ties later anyway (depending on other ideas / suggestions). The ones I used yesterday were cheap ones, and seemed to snap/shear/cut very easily. Any input welcomed !!

Bought a pedal bike tire tool years ago. It is a blue hard plastic. Made by park.... You may have to drop the whole motor in penetrating oil and let it soak.

I just removed a stubborn sleeve in a picco (.12 albeit) by putting in a 275 oven for 25 minutes then pressing up on the bottom of the sleeve with a wooden dowel. Slid right out.

Thanks very much guys. I accidentally opened two threads on this topic. I got a few suggestions in the other thread too; one of which was from Stuart Barr, who suggested a plug washer in each transfer port. I'm happy to say that worked a treat for me.

Latest posts

Back