CMB .45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ids987

Supporting Member
As it's Friday, I thought I'd give you a laugh at my expense. My (former) CMB 45 at the end of a recent race. Anyone else managed to do this with a steel rod ?

Ian

CMB.png

i did one of those with the Original CMB 21 side exhaust that i had in a Oval Master when we were stationed in Arizona QUITE a few years ago. Went like hell then the dreaded SILENCE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

carl

i did one of those with the Original CMB 21 side exhaust that i had in a Oval Master when we were stationed in Arizona QUITE a few years ago. Went like hell then the dreaded SILENCE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:
carl
They're always the fastest just before they blow up. :p

Rod stress :)
How Many Gallons until it let go?

Norm Doerr
The crank and rod assembly were pretty new - due to the original crank having the large pin, and developing splits in both bobbins. I couldn't get crank spares, so I ended up buying the whole assembly early last year.

So the rod probably only had a couple of hours on it - if that. It's unfair to look at it that way though, as there were external factors involved. The boat went airborne during a race, and landed bottom up. I can't decide whether it was caused by overrevving (during the airborne period), or whether it took a drink when it landed. I couldn't see any signs of water when I opened it. Plenty of "piston confetti" when I took the backplate off though. The skirt of the piston was smashed all the way round. The hardest part so far was getting the crankshaft out (bearing in mind that the liner wouldn't move very far). The crankshaft and pin survived. I'm debating whether to cut the liner out, JB Weld the case, and rebuild with new rod, piston, liner and bearings....

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
DUDE! I would clean up the hole and put plexiglass over it. Tell people it is an inspection port.

Back