Climate Vintage shovel nose

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Has anyone ever put this hull together and run it ? Im looking to run a Graupner 8.4 v 700 bb motor on 12 cells for up at the cottage. ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREAT .

Riggerman

You have definitely picked a winner in the Climate Vintage Shovelnose hydro (also known as the Campbell Vintage shovelnose). This kit is an extremely well-designed hydro that can be built with as much scale detail as you want and is as equally at home on the racecourse or the weekend sportrunnin' pond. This kit utilises the quick-building easy scale advantages of the vacuum-formed plastic outer shell with the inner rigidity of a laser-cut wood framework.

It is well-powered with a 700 series motor on 12 sub C cells and can even handle an upgrade to a brushless system on the same voltage. The hull has been very successful in the LSH (Limited Sport Hydro) racing class (12 cell/700 motor).

I absolutely recommend this kit to any electric hydro enthusiast.

Riggerman,

That's high praise coming from Doug Forrester. His own boat designs are among the fastest out there.

I can also attest that the Campbell Shovel is also as fast as anything out there. Last year in Mazomanie, WI I was on the record pace for the LSH record with only two laps left in the heat with a Campbel Shovel. Although I didn't finish the heat (poor driving) it proved to me that the hull is as capable as anything else that's available.

Good luck.

Dan Proulx

forresterace said:
RiggermanYou have definitely picked a winner in the Climate Vintage Shovelnose hydro (also known as the Campbell Vintage shovelnose). This kit is an extremely well-designed hydro that can be built with as much scale detail as you want and is as equally at home on the racecourse or the weekend sportrunnin' pond. This kit utilises the quick-building easy scale advantages of the vacuum-formed plastic outer shell with the inner rigidity of a laser-cut wood framework.

It is well-powered with a 700 series motor on 12 sub C cells and can even handle an upgrade to a brushless system on the same voltage. The hull has been very successful in the LSH (Limited Sport Hydro) racing class (12 cell/700 motor).

I absolutely recommend this kit to any electric hydro enthusiast.

100772[/snapback]

Dan

I remember that heat last year :)

Have you guys done any testing for O-sport with Dougs shovel?

Larry

Dan Proulx said:
Riggerman,
That's high praise coming from Doug Forrester.  His own boat designs are among the fastest out there.

100821[/snapback]

Speaking of Doug's designs, when will they be available again? Climate used to sell the Raptor but its now gone and there are no other designs available. I'd love to build and race one but where can you get one?

Larry,

Doug Campbell has ran his shovel in O Sport configuration with very good results. He'll have a version of it at the Nats registered in that class as well.

This hull started life originally intended for O Sport so - yes, I've done quite a bit of testing with it in O Sport.

I think Campbell will be using a Hacker 8L in his.

Hope this helps.

And regarding that heat at Mazomanie last year - I'm sure you would remember it since you went on to win that heat and subsequently the class if memory serves. Typical of you - conservative, steady, and always on the podium!

Dan Proulx

I am using my Campbell shovel in O Sport with a Hacker 7L. I am still dialing it in and trying to find the right prop. I hope I can have it competive for the Nats next week. Today I am making the turn fin and battery pack. I will post pictures maybe Monday. I painted it as the 1964 Miss Exide, without the exposed engine.

Spuds said:
Dan Proulx said:
Riggerman,
That's high praise coming from Doug Forrester.  His own boat designs are among the fastest out there.

100821[/snapback]

Speaking of Doug's designs, when will they be available again? Climate used to sell the Raptor but its now gone and there are no other designs available. I'd love to build and race one but where can you get one?

100927[/snapback]

Hi Spuds

The Raptor was never actually available for sale as a kit from Climate (or anyone else). It came close to being on the market but in the end I decided against it. It was a fairly complex kit (a lot of parts) which made it expensive to produce and coupled with, therefore, the limited market, I decided not to pursue it. The fact that it also did not meet the recently enforced 25% nose setback rule also did not contribute positively either (although that shortcoming would have been an easy fix). There have been five hulls built.

I do have several new sport hydro designs coming however, but I am making no predictions as to when. The very successful N2 Offshore Manx Cat is in the final stages of kit production however. It's availability is probably about a month or so away. Watch for its success at Michigan next week, there will be four Manx Cats competing.

Back