Clear Painting after repairing damage

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sport hydro

Iam starting to repair some damage to my 1/8 scale 94 Smokin Joes. After repairing, applying the base coat and blending it in to the existing paint, what is the best way to apply the clear? Do I try to spray just the repaired areas or scuff the entire hull and shoot clear on all of it?

Iam starting to repair some damage to my 1/8 scale 94 Smokin Joes. After repairing, applying the base coat and blending it in to the existing paint, what is the best way to apply the clear? Do I try to spray just the repaired areas or scuff the entire hull and shoot clear on all of it?
Hi Ed, what kind of paint (clear) are you using? It is possible to shoot clear in only the repaired areas if using automotive clear like dupont chromaclear. Once cleared just sand the area with 1000 grit (wet/dry) and gradually increase to 1500-2000 grit and then get out the Mcguiers scratch and swirl remover on a buffer or by hand and polish the area. It will take some work. The last time I repaired the smokin Joe I sanded everything and reshot the entire hull as I had repairs over a wide area. The best looking and possible easier way is just to reclear everything but it depends on how much repair work you have.

My 2 cents...

Thanks. The hull has two small chips along the right side deck and I had to repair a seam split on the left side of the transom. One vertical wing and the center section of the cowl need complete repair and paint. I was hopping to not need to clear the whole hull. I have to find out from my painter what clear he used the first time. I know it cost $180.00 a quart w/ reducer. I belive it is Cromabase as I used the Cromabase yellow and HOC purple that Don recomended.

If you just want to blend the clear in a small area Dupont sells a blending solvent that will blend the new clear into the old. Works great and you will not have to reclear the entire hull. If you want call me and I will be glad to tell you how to do it. 509-993-6360 Dustin

Dustin,

Thanks, I'll get with you when I get closer to shooting the clear. I'm still repairing the cowl and wing.

Back