Charleston Grand Prix Race Now Open

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Knight

The Charleston Model Boaters is hosting our IMPBA District 13 Grand Prix race on September 14th and 15th. The Grand Prix series is a more relaxed and laid back series and fun is emphasized more than the strongly intense major races that many attend. The competitive level is still great during the race but is less serious. The race can be used as a tune up for the Fall Nationals the following month.

Entries will be taken as usual through the website of http://www.rcracingevents.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Explain the format please? Is it tunnels only or all classes of hulls?
Many classes in every category. Tunnels, gas, FE tunnels, mono's hydro's and some open classes that you can choose your power plant. Take a look at the race details and the classes offered.

Format is heat racing, 3 rounds at least and possibly a 4th if time and weather permitting. Racing starts usually by noon on Saturday. If the numbers come in for the race, we may start an hour or so earlier if the racers agree to do it.

Hey everyone, due to the low number of racers that have signed up for this race that are not CMB members, we may have to cancel the race for this year. The CMB club is not out to make money on any race but with the current turnout we do not feel that we can break even hosting the race this year. A lot of the classes offered do not even have enough boats signed up to even meet the class minimum of 3 boats to run in the race. If you are waiting to enter the race please do so by Sunday 9/1. The BOD will be discussing the race status on Monday 9/2 and the possibly of cancelling the race. The CMB club apologizes for having to do this but with the economy the way it is now, we do not want the out of town racers to spend money to travel to such a small race. This notice may also give some the opportunity to attend a different race. Refunds will be given for paid entries if this race gets canceled.

V/R,

CMB Board of Directors

For you all to cancel this race just because it's not a 200 boat race is a crock of ####. And very disrespectful to those of us that have entered. The grand prix always has and always will be a laid back over size fun day. That's what makes the series so much fun I counted 5 classes that do not have enough boats and guess what they are gas classes. If the CMB club think they are to dam good to put on a small race then I say the hell with ya. I see Joe is entered so me and my bunch will come up and run boats with him and Al. Me and bro where just talking the other night and came to the conclusion that the CMB club has to have the largest bank account in the IMPBA.

Tony,

I am sorry to say you are most uninformed. In order for a race we put on to break even it takes about 125 boats to do that, not 200+. We do not have any expectations that any Grand Prix race will attract that number of entries. Besides the GP races are limited to 150 boat entries and that began this year. If you look carefully at the race class entries, you will find 8, not 5, classes that do not have the 3 boat minimum. They are Thunderboat, Crackerbox, LSG Sport Hydro, Jersey Skiff, Scale, Open Hydro, Open Offshore, & P Limited Rigger. That is a group of gas, nitro, FE and mixed classes. Hardly what you allege. If you drop these classes then 11 entries will have to be refunded and we go from 86 entries to 75. It is not economically feasible with that number and we cannot host races and lose money on them. In addition, some racers may drop from the race as their chosen classes may be among those that are dropped.

As for the funding, in the past 3 years the CMB has INVESTED $4,000 in the safety fence for the lake, and that was after spending $600 for the recommended close mesh plastic safety fence that did not last 2 years. Last year we spent $1,000 to get our lake surveyed for time and record trials. We expanded the drivers stand from 20' to 32' for a cost of $1,200. We bought a used chase boat motor 2 years ago for $600 and someone broke it this spring - beyond economical repair. We bought a new PA system, and a new race clock 3 months ago for over $2,000. Last month we bought a new chase boat and motor for over $3,000. The other ones were leaking and continually sinking and nearly ruining the engines. We used the race proceeds from the past 2 years to make these purchases and have absolutely cleaned out our bank account. There is nothing remaining, period. The club officers made the commitment years ago to reinvest the funds from the races into our facilities and we have done that. We believe that the CMB club, it's members, and our race patrons for ALL the races we host deserve the best we can provide and we do exactly that. The CMB does not deserve the accusations you are throwing - you are grossly mis-informed.

If the racers want the race to continue, get your race buddies and others to enter it this week so we can at least break even for the race. That is all we are asking, nothing more, and that is most prudent. Take it upon yourself to promote the race instead of slamming the CMB club.

John I am not gonna argue you your self just showed how much money yaw have made off us the racers in the past 3 years. If yaw paid 4 grand for that fencing yaw got screwed. The labor to installed should have been club volunteers. You had to get the course surveyed so you could hold the internats and the gas nats once again big races big turn outs big money.. My buddies are entered and are ready to race. As far as accusations you said it your self yaw are not in the business to put on races and lose money . So again I say the hell with ya The cmb club has done a wonderful job in the investments of the sight and I think we all know the pond owner has ALOT to do with that. You and perhaps your club but mainly you need to take a step back and remember where yaw came from. and get down off your high horse.

Tony please don't sit here and hang John over this. The BOD for the CMB has been discussing this for weeks now and if it's going to create this much of an issue we will hold the race. Another reason we have been looking at the turn out is because we can not get a food vendor out for such few people, so having said that everyone will be on their own to provide food for themselves. Lets all just take a step back from the argueing and go on to the next step. You have my number if you would like to call me and discuss this outside of the internet forum. Heck man do you think I want to cancel this race and miss the opertunity to whip up on you and mitch in gas tunnel? That alone is enough reason to hold the race!!! :D Take care my friend and please call me if you want to talk about this please stop slamming John and the CMB Club as a whole.

I agree with Tony this is BS. If you need a food vendor give me a call or PM. I can talk to a friend who is over all the stickey finger BBQ's in charleston & savannah.

The Grand Prix series has had lots of races with less than 100 boats and can do so without loosing money because there are no trophies to buy only paper certificates. The whole concept behind the series is small laid back race and that is one reason why the boats were limited to 150 in 2013. As far as food venders ,starting at noon on Saturday and finishing early on Sunday, they are not necessary.

I will donate paper certificates for the race to help the CMB club out. They will be printed and laminated all yall we have to do is hand them out. Lets get this race going.

Deryl

Looks like the entries jumped up and you guys will be having a race. Congrats and have fun. See ya at the Fall Nats..... ;)

Hey Gang,

We need one more LSG Tunnel to keep that class..I want to see Mitch Sr.

and Randy race! jj

Is this a one day race on Saturday or ? If it goes Sat & Sunday will it be done by lunch Sunday?

The race series is formatted for open water Friday if you prefer and some open water Saturday am until about 11 or so. Racing will start soon after and run until about 1 on Sunday. It ends up being about a 1 day race. Usually run 3 rounds but with a lower entry count we have done more as time and weather permits. The race length totally depends on the number of entries, the number of classes being run and the number of rounds.

You are most welcome to come as a tune up for the fall nats. Anthony is going to look for your JS cowl next week and you may be able to pick it up.

Latest posts

Back