Charger Recommendation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Minassian

Well I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to both LIFE's and LiPo's and I'm phasing our my NiMH.

I now need to purchase a new charger and I just can't decide what is the best deal out there.

I'd like one charger than can charge everything, and I'm looking for a charger that can at the minimum balance charge two batteries at once, but I'd prefer it to be able to do 4 possibly.

Not trying to spend a fortune but would like to buy something with decent quality that people have used for a few season.

Let's hear the suggestions.

Thanks,

Matt

Ron, that's actually the exact charger I have. It's a great charger. The downside is, it doesn't charge life batteries and I use all life batteries as receiver packs because they are 6.6v and I can use them with the airtronics receivers.

Ron, that's actually the exact charger I have. It's a great charger. The downside is, it doesn't charge life batteries and I use all life batteries as receiver packs because they are 6.6v and I can use them with the airtronics receivers.
Lol. Ok. I haven't tried the Life route yet. Let us know what you end up using. Good luck.

Matt come over see me at Riverview show you what to get does everything, Elias and Ron Ratoff using same program

That charger isn't ready to charge even regular Lipo's it is capable of charging. There is no balancer built into it.

LiFe batteries are compatible with any 3 or4 channel receiver on the market today.

Matt, look at allerc I have been using the Hyperion charger for boats planes and helis for several years. Charges anything you got and then some....A little pricey but works great.

yap that's a good charger, I got 1 plus I use a SkyCharger dual power -B6AC great chargers. also look at hitec 4 port 80 watt per port out put.

but u will need a power supply to power it. an u can buy it for 155.00

hmmm both of those hitecs have my interest especially the x4 eighty as it's a tad bit faster of a charger than the x4 plus and the prices work out to be about the same after you buy a power supply.

Downside with the x4 eighty is you have another thing to carry along the power supply whereas the x4 plus has one built in.

Does anyone know of any other four port balance charger that is around the 200-250 range that would be a better buy than one of those?

Appreciate the suggestions guys, I hadn't even considered a hitec charger

Yeah that is a really good deal, though having 80 watts per station is better than 50 trying to decide if it's worth the extra 30 to 50 bucks or so if I can find a decent priced 500 watt power supply

When choosing a charger keep in mind the size of packs you plan on charging currently AND in the future...

Volts X Amps = Watts

14.8 volts X 5 amps = 74 watts

The 5 amp charging rate (1C charging rate) assumes a 5000mAh battery pack.

The 14.8 volts assumes a 4S lipo pack

Just food for thought...

Later,

Mike

What Mike says. One of the most important specs for me in choosing a charger is wattage output. The specs may boast capability of charging up to a 6s Lipo or up to 6 amps of current output, but if it's a 50 watt charger, it aint going to charge a 6S pack at 6 amps.

Read the specs carefully on AC/DC chargers also. Most have a lower wattage output when operating under AC power.

As for power supplies, I've purchased the $150 Pyramid and only used it indoors. It crapped out after a year. Now I use a computer server power supply that I can pick up on Ebay for about $20. The one I use is very easy to convert. You don't even have to open it up. I've used it in 90+ degree heat while charging four 4S packs at 5 amps each. Output is 47 amps. I've built them for a half dozen guys in the district and we haven't had a failure yet.

Mike, so if I purchased that Hitec x4 eighty, would you be interested in building me a power supply? And would you suggest that the x4 eighty is a good charger?

Currently I only run 700 mah and 1100 mah 6.6 volt life batteries and then I have one 6c 5000 mah lipo for my starter. What are your thoughts?

Matt, Chilli made me one of those power supplies...works perfect! Like Chilli, I also bought an expensive Pyramid p/s and quit on me twice...now all I use is the cheap computer p/s ...

Matt myself Ron Ratoff and Elias and a few others are using the SigmaEQ great charger does lipo life all the batteries i will have it at Riverview you can take a look it is also ac dc 45 watt

Latest posts

Back