Carbon Fiber

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
I have some questions regarding the carbon fiber stuff. If I wanted to make some carbon fiber sides like on John Knights boat do I need to vacuum bag them? What would be a good process for the vacuuming ? Ive also noticed that there are some carbon fiber cowls that are sold those cowls are for front exhaust only? Ive also seen some carbon fiber tub that ya don't see any wood on them at all like Terry Keeley's rigger is there an advantage to that style over the type with the exposed wood? I don't plan on building carbon fiber stuff like tomorrow but it is something that I really like the esthetic's of and hope to build sometime in the future. The only rigger I have built is a knock off .12 FF, Yes I really like the boat !!! But I would like to know what would be considered the best, FF,RR,Blackbird,sgx eagle,hawk? And are build plans for these available or are kits needed to buy? Also can these kits be modded for carbon fiber, and will the carbon fiber cowls work with all these models?

Thanks Paul

paul,

Carbon fiber can be a bare to work with.. if you plan on doing anything like what terry or phm does you really need to vaccum bag it.. i do my cowls out of carbon but don't vaccum it, but i would like to.. just don't have the coin for the pump set up right now.

And carbon comes in different weaves and thickness or ounces.. generally thinner is easier to work with but may take more layers to make your part stiff to your liking.

as for my boats.. they are sold in kit for only. and as for which one is the best.. i have my own opinion lol ;)

chris

paul,
Carbon fiber can be a bare to work with.. if you plan on doing anything like what terry or phm does you really need to vaccum bag it.. i do my cowls out of carbon but don't vaccum it, but i would like to.. just don't have the coin for the pump set up right now.

And carbon comes in different weaves and thickness or ounces.. generally thinner is easier to work with but may take more layers to make your part stiff to your liking.

as for my boats.. they are sold in kit for only. and as for which one is the best.. i have my own opinion lol ;)

chris
Chris I am making a system using a Parker vacuum generator plugged into your air compressor. I paid $25.00 for it on ebay. Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/PIAB-Classic-Vacuum-Pu...1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by a moderator:
cool joe, that might just be the ticket.. i will keep my eye on it.
chris
It's an economical way to create vacuum. However in typical fashion I had to go overboard and build a digital system to monitor & control the vacuum. Let's not mention all of the preprep carbon fiber I'm now storing in the freezer! All to make a couple mounting brackets. :blink:

So it is looking like this will not be an easy task to just build a carbon fiber boat. I will have to do alot of research on the subject before i even think about trying this. I have looked at carbon fiber at the LHS and the stuff isn't cheap either, so maybe for next winter I may try a carbon build with hopefully a little more knowledge.

Thanks Again For all your Info and help.

Paul

And about the best rigger is there really a major difference between them? It almost looks like all of them in someway or another are considered then Best?

paul

i have done some small panels with c/f. i used a couple shelf boards, freezer paper and cender blocks. they turned out ok but alittle heavy. with vaccum bagging you can use alot less resin or epoxy. i do know of a guy that has built a steel tube frame and uses the same shelfing boards(about 6 on bottom and 6 on top). he uses bottle jacks to put alot of pressure on it. turns out great. it does not turn out shiny but a quick clearcoat and shines like glass. hope this helps.

jon

paul
i have done some small panels with c/f. i used a couple shelf boards, freezer paper and cender blocks. they turned out ok but alittle heavy. with vaccum bagging you can use alot less resin or epoxy. i do know of a guy that has built a steel tube frame and uses the same shelfing boards(about 6 on bottom and 6 on top). he uses bottle jacks to put alot of pressure on it. turns out great. it does not turn out shiny but a quick clearcoat and shines like glass. hope this helps.

jon

If that's Greg David you're talking about I can second that fur shur, nice work and no vacuum at all... :)

If you want to make something like a hull then you will need plugs for the top and bottom. Other than that, doing sponsons or flat sheets of wood is simple. You can use a piece of glass for a table, some kind of mastic for the seal between the bag and the table, and release cloth. Put your mold or wood in the bag, lay your CF with expoxy down on top, seal to the table and suck real hard. The excess epoxy is absorbed into the release cloth and you can work the cloth will the bag gets tight. For a pump you can use a compressor from a junk refrigerator. You can make it hard or just get it done. This is how the Hummingbirds were made and it works great.

" You can use a piece of glass for a table, some kind of mastic for the seal between the bag and the table,"

To seal the plastic to any surface you can use painters caulking, it seals and the plastic keeps it from drying. When parts done scrape it off with a putty knife. It's under $1.50 a tube.

If you use a glass plate and sealing tape - would you need a bag or would a sheet of suitable flexible plastic material do the same job?

Is there any preference for Breather /release cloth/ peel ply?

If you use a glass plate and sealing tape - would you need a bag or would a sheet of suitable flexible plastic material do the same job?
Is there any preference for Breather /release cloth/ peel ply?
Any material that will not puncture should be suitable in my opinion. I do not know the exact material used for the release cloth. However it was kind of thick and absorbed excess epoxy.

I use Peel Ply, used by dress makers and I think is called Chifon or something like that, on top of the laminate,then the vacuum bag. I also use a rubber squeegy to push excess resin away from the laminate.

Other times I have use a perforated plastic sheet (with thousands of holes in it) under vacuum the excess resin draws through the perforated sheet, and gets absorbed by the baby blanket as we call it ,on top of the sheet,( about an inch thick material, dont know the correct name for it).

I also recommend a resin trap in the vacuum line, just in case the resin gets into the vacuum line.

If you have more questions then let me know.

Ross

Perth

Western Australia

Back