carbon fiber cloth

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john schultheis

Building a new boat and I'd like to use carbon fiber cloth in the engine bay and around the stuffing tube. Where can I find some? Thanks

You probably want to use around a 6 ounce cloth. Do yourself a favor and buy common weave rather than twill. The twill comes unraveled very easy, especially when handling with gloves that have some epoxy on them. The twill works good if you are doing compound curves as it will lay down better, but for me anyway, it is harder to work with. Freakin' strings of that stuff everywhere. Not sure that carbon fiber is worth the extra expense over fiberglass cloth unless you are vacuum bagging and curing it.

I measure. then tape the cloth. cut in the middle of the tape. epoxy it tape side down. they make some really gorgeous carbon fiber. honeycomb. and different colors. I get mine on ebay

I've never seen the need to add CF or FG to a wood boat. All I've ever done, and not that often, is add a doubler slightly larger than the hole the stuffing tube needs and fill it with epoxy. Much easier and lighter than using a cloth that has to have the weave filled to keep water and fuel from getting to and through it.

Good Morning! New to the group. I do a lot of R&D with Carbon fiber. My favorite sight is Dragon Plate. Lots of products and very customer oriented.

Has anyone tried adhering premade carbon or kevlar "sheet" to wood,in effort to not go thru the extra task of vacuum bagging.

After shredding a backlash I had a carbon reinforced one built and it's bulletproof.Now I ripped my rigger in half right behind rear sponson tube and would like to add carbon or kevlar to the next one.

Latest posts

Back