Carbon Fiber 8255

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice Mike, what's the weight, I'm still making my plug
3 lbs, 6oz the way she sits. I still have to lay up and bag up some carbon/Divinylcell (sp?)foam core material for some sheers and a few formers, but that stuff is really light and really strong. That is 3 lbs lighter than my glass hulls w/cowling have been. I'm hoping for a 10 1/2 lb race ready boat.

i guess next time someone hits you,you want them to be on the busted up end

Looks really nice Mike! Is that your mold?

Dave
Yep. It's Jeff Snell's design with a few modifications I made to the recovery pads and belly pan. Jeff will make people carbon boats as well. Going into this I didn't release that the plugs and molds is where the work and expense really is. Especially using West Systems resin. But I would rather spend the money than melt my lungs with regular glass resins.

Very nice work, got some pix of the molds &/or plugs?

Is it bagged? How many layers of cloth?
The molds and plugs are in storage right now. All the parts were bagged and heat cured. 2 layers of 5.7 oz. plain weave cloth overall with added layers in high stress points. I really can't take much credit for the work other than the plugs. It was a learning experience with Jim Putich as the guy with the expertise and me as the student/helper. After this, the only wood boat I will ever build again is something to develop with the boat being turned into a plug. My next project is to lay up some sheets and structural parts like angle, channel , round and square tubing of CF to use in construction. After the boat comes together a little more I'm going to try my hand at a CF radio box and muffler. With the boat this light it will interesting to see if the same aerodynamic/hydrodynamic package will work.

The molds and plugs are in storage right now. All the parts were bagged and heat cured. 2 layers of 5.7 oz. plain weave cloth overall with added layers in high stress points. I really can't take much credit for the work other than the plugs. It was a learning experience with Jim Putich as the guy with the expertise and me as the student/helper. After this, the only wood boat I will ever build again is something to develop with the boat being turned into a plug. My next project is to lay up some sheets and structural parts like angle, channel , round and square tubing of CF to use in construction. After the boat comes together a little more I'm going to try my hand at a CF radio box and muffler. With the boat this light it will interesting to see if the same aerodynamic/hydrodynamic package will work.
Cool! Did you use a heat curing epoxy or some sort of pre-preg?

Once you've built with CF, you'll never use that naturally occurring cellulose fiber product again! :lol:

Once you've built with CF, you'll never use that naturally occurring cellulose fiber product again! :lol:
Just West Systems with the slow hardener. I have heard that there are now some room temp pre-pregs available now.

The buddy that is helping me says the same thing-wood is for barbarians. I really got tired of the fragility of wood and light fiberglass layups. The only way to win races is to stick your nose in there and sometimes this sport is like boxing-you are going punched in the nose once in a while if you decide to do it. GO HAWKS!!!!

Just West Systems with the slow hardener. I have heard that there are now some room temp pre-pregs available now.

The buddy that is helping me says the same thing-wood is for barbarians. I really got tired of the fragility of wood and light fiberglass layups. The only way to win races is to stick your nose in there and sometimes this sport is like boxing-you are going punched in the nose once in a while if you decide to do it. GO HAWKS!!!!

So no bagging?

So no bagging?
Everything was bagged with a constant 20 inches of vacuum and heat for about an hour. Left in the bag while curing occurred overnight in 95 degree temp. Interesting process in creating pleats in the bag so the bagging material sucks into the recesses and compound curved areas. We had to shut off the pimp several times and create bigger pleats. Also stapled large pieces of cardboard to the back side of the mold framework to keep from puncturing holes in the bag. Used the stretchy bag material.

So no bagging?
Everything was bagged with a constant 20 inches of vacuum and heat for about an hour. Left in the bag while curing occurred overnight in 95 degree temp. Interesting process in creating pleats in the bag so the bagging material sucks into the recesses and compound curved areas. We had to shut off the pimp several times and create bigger pleats. Also stapled large pieces of cardboard to the back side of the mold framework to keep from puncturing holes in the bag. Used the stretchy bag material.
I mean pump-not pimp :mellow:

Do you a picture of your vacuum pump setup? I have three vacuum pumps but still haven't built a system yet.

GAST is the best IMHO, 0522 & 0523 are most popular and more than enough, oil less is best.

You can grab them on Flee-Bay cheap now & then. :)

8~0.jpg

9~0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back