Carbon Fiber 8255

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's what I got. A new Gast, a little one from Aerospace Composites and a used one on the left off Ebay (went really cheap). I have a few parts and bagging material but have a ways to go. Found a few websites with complete systems and/or parts to build one.

GB2-00051024x684_zps84c57258.jpg

Hey Mike,

Really looking good.

Will you post some pics with the cowl / deck insert removed so we can see the tub area. I assume it's the same as your American Speedy set up.

I watched with interest the thread David Kidd did a couple years ago when he layed up what became his U-95 Sunny Jim using Steve Peterson's mold. He used Kevlar to reinforce the hull. What are the benefits, draw backs from using Kevlar or carbon fiber to reinforce areas of the hull??

Very interesting thread. Thank you for posting. CHEERS !!! Bob

Here's what I got. A new Gast, a little one from Aerospace Composites and a used one on the left off Ebay (went really cheap). I have a few parts and bagging material but have a ways to go. Found a few websites with complete systems and/or parts to build one.

GB2-00051024x684_zps84c57258.jpg
You might have to use both at once to do a hull. Most of the diaphragm pumps are limited in the amount of CFM. I'm told that for larger layups like hulls you need a minimum of 5CFM. I bought a 5 CFM cheapo rotary pump ($105) off ebay (new) and that was a mistake. Oil less is the only way to go. That **** cheapo exhausted an oil fog into the workshop. If I want to use it I have to plumb an exhaust line from the discharge to run outside. I probably will and use it for small parts. I already bought another oil less rotary (used) with higher CFM for doing larger parts.

I don't know what the Gast will pull. Label says 100 psi and 6.9 Bar. I checked the gauge on the blue pump. If I'm reading it right it got up to 24 vacuum.

Would like to see how you guys are joining the deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your pulling a vacuum the only way you will get 100psi is in a pressurized vessel (Autoclave). The maximum you can get otherwise is 1 atmosphere, 14.7 psi

Last edited by a moderator:
Back