Carbon booms for 67 rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRXHydros

Hey Guys, I am going to use carbon booms on a .67 rigger,but not sure how it works. I was going to use from Aerospace this---.375 (3/8)OD Carbon Rod and a carbon tube .375(3/8)ID/.032WT to go over the rod, so I can remove the front sponsons. Is the .032WT on the tube going to be strong enough, WT go's up when tube size gets bigger. Guys let me know what you think. Thanks

Joel

Hey Guys, I am going to use carbon booms on a .67 rigger,but not sure how it works. I was going to use from Aerospace this---.375 (3/8)OD Carbon Rod and a carbon tube .375(3/8)ID/.032WT to go over the rod, so I can remove the front sponsons. Is the .032WT on the tube going to be strong enough, WT go's up when tube size gets bigger. Guys let me know what you think. Thanks

Joel
Joel:

They will snap off clean when you hit a buoy HARD. Stu Barr started using Fibreglass Tube and I have thought the best setup would be FG Tube with a solid carbon rod in the middle to stiffen it. Haven't tried it yet. Got all my stuff at Aerospace.

I use solid carbon rods on my .21 Hydro, but you have to expect the snap off if you hit really hard.

Marty Davis

Last edited by a moderator:
To replace my Cajun Bullet 21 aluminiun ones I used G10 tube from Mc Master Carr. Had to drill out some to fit boom rods.Drilled perfect. I couldn't find anything else that that would come close to ID of the aluminium ones. Look sweet.

I orderd mine for my 67SGX yesterday. They are the same as you describe; .375" OD stubs in the sponsons, and .375"ID tubes on the tub. I also purchased the .281 OD tube to glue inside the .375" OD tube in the sponson. I will glue up a doubler made from both the .375" and .281" and bond it inside of the .375" ID tube in the tub. The sponson stubs will butt up against the doublers in the cross tube at the mid point between the sponson and tub. The wrapped tube is a little stronger than the pultruded micro rods in burst.

I orderd mine for my 67SGX yesterday. They are the same as you describe; .375" OD stubs in the sponsons, and .375"ID tubes on the tub. I also purchased the .281 OD tube to glue inside the .375" OD tube in the sponson. I will glue up a doubler made from both the .375" and .281" and bond it inside of the .375" ID tube in the tub. The sponson stubs will butt up against the doublers in the cross tube at the mid point between the sponson and tub. The wrapped tube is a little stronger than the pultruded micro rods in burst.
Thanks Jon, That is the information I am looking for. Thanks to all----- :) JDM

ACP had the wrong size noted on their website for the ID of hte 0.375 OD pultruded tube; it is actually 0.265"ID. You can't telescope it with the 0.281, you have to use the 0.254', and add microballons to the resin as a bond gap control material. (learned that one when I was a Composites Process Engineer, we had graduated glass beads to adding to the adhesive to control the bond line thickness) . Also, the concentricity was really bad on the piece I got. When I called, they said they would go through their stock and replace it with a better piece, and I could keep the bad one. On my bad piece, one side was 0.024 wall, and the other was 0.074. Great service from ACP!

ACP had the wrong size noted on their website for the ID of hte 0.375 OD pultruded tube; it is actually 0.265"ID. You can't telescope it with the 0.281, you have to use the 0.254', and add microballons to the resin as a bond gap control material. (learned that one when I was a Composites Process Engineer, we had graduated glass beads to adding to the adhesive to control the bond line thickness) . Also, the concentricity was really bad on the piece I got. When I called, they said they would go through their stock and replace it with a better piece, and I could keep the bad one. On my bad piece, one side was 0.024 wall, and the other was 0.074. Great service from ACP!
Thank You for the update Jon.
JDM

I just got a call back from CST, and they say that their pultruded tube has the proper 0.290" ID with a concentricity of +/- 0.015". I'll post once I receive it, and confirm.

Latest posts

Back