Carb. vs Exhaust Throttle.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exhaust throttle is dirty and a maintenance item , carbs are simple and seem to work great . Exhaust throttles do work good though as evidenced by some who use them .

While Tom has a point, the difference is where the restriction to flow is located. A carb restricts air into the engine while an exhaust throttle restricts the exhaust out. That said, it would seem to me that the added resistance and internal pressure from the exhaust backpressure, when using the exhaust throttle, would be harder on the internal parts of the engine(i.e. crank, conrod, bearings, etc) than limiting the air coming in through the carb.

EX TH also restricts air in BY restricting air out . You can't get in what you don't get out .
And I totally agree. I was just stating where the driver has control over the flow through the engine. A comparison of how they are different, using a car engine, would be the butterfly valve at the intake controls the air in, a potato jammed in the tail pipe controls exhaust out. Granted, a potato can do damage, both to the engine and anything in the flight path of the potato after it's shot out of the pipe like a bullet from a gun, but the comparison is still accurate.

And I totally agree. I was just stating where the driver has control over the flow through the engine. A comparison of how they are different, using a car engine, would be the butterfly valve at the intake controls the air in, a potato jammed in the tail pipe controls exhaust out. Granted, a potato can do damage, both to the engine and anything in the flight path of the potato after it's shot out of the pipe like a bullet from a gun, but the comparison is still accurate.

What!!!!
Now there running potatoes stuffed in there tuned pipes in the P.N.W.

****,,, Us guys down in Florida need to get up to speed, Huh Tom?

What!!!!
Now there running potatoes stuffed in there tuned pipes in the P.N.W.

****,,, Us guys down in Florida need to get up to speed, Huh Tom?
NO, WE DON'T DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!
I was using a potato, stuffed into a full sized car exhaust, as an example of how an exhaust throttle uses back pressure to control engine RPM. As we all know, back pressure can prevent a nitro engine from running at all if there's too much.

Back