Can I Effectively Run an OS 21XM Outboard on a Seaducer Hull?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Cruz

Yes, I know it's weird. But I don't race (no racing 'round here). So I could care less about being the fastest. Consistent, balanced and fast-enough is good enough for me. I'm growing quite fond of the little OS 21's and it be nice to be running 2 at the pond. (One in my tunnel and the other in something else - the Seaducer perhaps).

So, if I balance the boat out by possibly putting the radio box very far forward and moving other things around, you guys think I could effectively run that hull with with an outboard?

Get another tunnel, put the engine on it and take both boats and a friend to the pond and race. Who knows, others may see you and want to join in then presto, more boats more people and the racing can begin. As for the seducer, it could probably be done. It may take some creativity but thats part of the fun. Another idea would be a kneeler. The OS is perfect for them

Yes, I know it's weird. But I don't race (no racing 'round here). So I could care less about being the fastest. Consistent, balanced and fast-enough is good enough for me. I'm growing quite fond of the little OS 21's and it be nice to be running 2 at the pond. (One in my tunnel and the other in something else - the Seaducer perhaps).

So, if I balance the boat out by possibly putting the radio box very far forward and moving other things around, you guys think I could effectively run that hull with with an outboard?
Danny, a few years ago, Jerry (SeaDucer Boats) put a mod outboard on one of his 33" hulls to take to a NAMBA Nats in California,, That little thing was a monster,, he said he had the boat sold, before the racing was completed.

So, I'd say, with the right set-up, and correct CG you could have a fun little boat to play with, and be quit unique at the same time.

Have fun with the project,,, and always think outside the box

Danny,

Another option would be to purchase one of Joe Petro (ZippKits) new 21 JAE OB Hydros. Dick and I have been working with him a few months and this kit is a rocket. It would be awesome with the OS stock or modified. I am using the OS lower on mine, but with a NR mod motor. This is a very fast outboard hull and would be a great addition to your tunnel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alden "camaroboy" had a TT on a mono not sure on how well he ever got it running though ... He had a video on youtube....

I have a Microburst mono with a Lawless leg and KB powerhead. To make it handle better I locked the engine straight and use a seperate rudder. This makes the boat handle and turn way better. The boat is a lot of fun and I have raced it before.

Danny, If I am correct the TCMBC had a 20 OB mono class back in 80's.
Yep we all started out with OB monos before tunnels got their act together. Raced them in the IB mono class at times. As for setup don't go too far forward with the radio box as to steer properly with an OB mono you need to get the bow up or you will oversteer. Best setup I ever had was with 3rd channel adjustable trim tabs. Did not we decide a straight OB mono could run in Mod-VP. (Mark?)

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes in the STORM races we were encouraging anyone if they wanted to race an OB mono to bring it. Find the right hull and set up it would be fun!

@jim hagan and GeorgiaScaleBoater - Sounds like the creativity bit is well encouraged. Thanks. At least I know I'm on to something that might work and be fun. I don't do this often enough that can hope to gather other racers - plus, what I've heard is that politics here in San Diego almost completely prevent the sanctioning of proper events. But I'm sure that laid-back, non-sanctioned events can be done.

@Rodney - Hi Rodney! - Yeah, I'm never actually going to go away. It's just that this RC boating thing, for me, really is a hobby - meaning, I only do it every couple of weeks because I'm always so busy :) So, I can see I'll be in and out often. By the way, my dad is packing my very first boat (19 years old) and shipping it to me as we speak. It's a Dumas Scarab 45 - Pics to come!

@RonShaw - Hmmmm... That sounds like a great idea! The last OB hydro I can remember was the Prather Spitfires. I'm liking the sound of this. Plus, as I told Rodney above, I have an old deep vee boat coming back to me after many years. So maybe combining an OB hydro with my tunnel and that old vee would be a perfect combo of boats. Any ideas where I can see that OB hydro? The ZippKits site? A thread on here?

@lights - Interesting. I mean, I've seen OB monos before - years ago. Can't remember if they were any good though. I'm loving the simplicity of an OB though.

@Mark Poole - Hmmm. I would've never thought of that - locking the engine straight and adding a separate rudder. Sounds like a good idea.

@RonShaw - I looked on the ZippKits site but I see no OB hydro. Any links to a thread with it by any chance?

Found it! http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=51472&hl=%20outboard%20%20hydro&st=0

I like the idea of the OB hydro more than the OB Mono. The only reason I was thinking of doing an OB Mono is because I wanted to build another outboard boat, but not a tunnel. I've thought about the idea of building an outrigger on more than one occasion. Now that I can combine the outrigger and the OB - it's a win-win!! I'm adding myself to the list on that thread... right now...!

Latest posts

Back