Calculate volume

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone tell me how to calculate tank volume?

Volume is area X hight or reworded as Lenght x Width X hight. If the tank is cylindrical you can use the formulae PI (3.1416) x r^2 x Hight or can be reworded as 3.1416 x radius x radius x hight or can be reworded as 3.1416 x (diameter/2)^2 x hight , or can be reworded as .........please remember your units discipline (all units must be like).

if you want to convert to Ounces from inch measurements just remember that the result from above will be in inches if you measured such and the result can be multiplied by .5541 OZ/in^3 to come up with the liquid ounce measurement.

just tryin to be helpful.

for those keeping track....this was the last post from me.

Dale sorry to Hijack your post as this Post Script is Not related to this post:

........god save Intlwaters....IMHO it's as done as I am with it....it started out so strong, with quality folks, but was taken over by Knitwhits.

KB

Last edited by a moderator:
OK i guess i am just thick, if i build a tank that is 4"x 4"x 2.5" how many oz. will it be?

How about a 1x2x6 ?

Thanks Buckshot , That helps a ton.

6.7 oz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never did pay attention in school very well. :p

Ed.R

1x2x7 = 7.7574 Oz.

Come back Kev.... we didnt mean it!!!!!! :) Dude, " this is my last post" aint cuttin it anymore,.... seems when the technical side of things pop, youre one of the 10 % ( Marty D) You just stick around man....We need all the help we can get....... The volume theory did help me albeit I use a pencil to find the correct answer.......... Now, just to keep a little IW boredom going, How do you figure out bowl volume on, say a custom machined head button? C'mon, its a loaded question, should raise a few thoughts though...... ( Like I could tell anyone) Later bro,.... you got first option on buyin the birds back,.... The end is near...... Mike

Come back Kev.... we didnt mean it!!!!!! :) Dude, " this is my last post" aint cuttin it anymore,.... seems when the technical side of things pop, youre one of the 10 % ( Marty D) You just stick around man....We need all the help we can get....... The volume theory did help me albeit I use a pencil to find the correct answer.......... Now, just to keep a little IW boredom going, How do you figure out bowl volume on, say a custom machined head button? C'mon, its a loaded question, should raise a few thoughts though...... ( Like I could tell anyone) Later bro,.... you got first option on buyin the birds back,.... The end is near...... Mike
:lol: Old Mike Larsen raising questions again! just poking fun pal!

Mike, here is a site that calculates about any measures to any other;

http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

As for checking volume on a head button, here is what I use;

Denatured alcohol tinted with some food color,red is my choice,

A piece of radio box lid, about 3"x 3" with two 1/16th holes drilled,1/4" apart

from center point.

A 1.0 millileter syringe( from local pharmacy)

Take head button with plug installed and put a thin film of light grease around

squish area only, be careful here not to grease taper on head squish band if

head has taper tward plug. set head button facing up on a level srevice on

(I use a 3/4" bolt socket) Now set (radio box lid piece with two 1/16th holes

drilled) centered on top greased head botton. This piece will seal on grease

with little pressure needed. Now without moving piece on top of head, put a

small piece of radio box tape over one of the holes , load syringe with tinted

alcohol to past the 1.0 mark on syringe, tilt syringe with needle up and get

air bubbles out, and stop at 1.0 ML mark. Now insert needle just through

taped hole and depress syringe until tinted alcolhol mix fills bowl chamber

and just starts to come out other hole. Now remove syringe and read how

many ML it took to fill head button bowl. I.E. if it went from 1.0 to .4 you

have filled head with .6 ML of fluid.

As the conversion from millileters to cubic centimeters is equal, you would

have a .60 cc head.

Keep in mind, if you have a dished piston, the dish also must be included

in total volume. Can be measured the same way, it is a little harder to

measure piston dish however.

I take these measurements at least 3 times to make sure I have equal results.

Back