CalCraft 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BB Mods's

So my problem here is I think my hull is to wet, Iv never ran a mono with such a shallow V, I'm not sure if what im seeing is correct.

Iv got a green head valvola in it, spinning a 440/3 and getting good RPM's out of the motor, But speed looks down, and the hull looks like its planing on the last 8" of hull or so, its setup as surface drive and iv tried tweaking the strut angle, but it always looks wet to me, Would going to a higher lift prop on this boat help get a little more air under her?

valcal001.JPG

might try a 1440, those "bigger ears" should help lift.....................but, a shallower vee isn't going to lift as much as a deeper vee, to begin with, will always look wetter, imho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going with a lifting prop 1400 series will only make it lift the back end more than the X440. Makeing your problem worst. To make the boat more loose. Tilt the strut angle.

Mike

mike, this is a question for you - would doing both, the strut angle & prop, lift the boat evenly, or better? terry said he had tried strut adj. i don't run r/c monos, just trying to relate it to what works for me on full scale hi-performance vee hulls. trying to learn, along with terry.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try checking the bottom to make sure that Calcraft is straight...... All the guys I ever saw with Calcrafts had done work to the bottom, even when new. Won't matter what prop you run if the bottom has concavities, dips and hooks, etc.....I agree with Mike though, worse with a 1400 series, big time. X-440/2, X-440/3 or even an X-437/3 are your best choices. X-440/3 is the standard prop to use on most 3.5 monos.....

ive been running cal craft monos for years if you have the plates level and about a 2 deg up angle on the strut running an x series prop and the boat still wont loosen up then you need to straighten the bottom.you have the correct prop on it dont change that!

Ok, This is a step in the right direction! Ill grab the boat and my blocks today and start checking the bottom.

Nope, Its Chris Hoffman's old IMPBA SAW boat.

I blocked the hull, looks to be even and level (has been worked on, id guess by Chris) So i guess ill start testing more drive angles.

I blocked the hull, looks to be even and level (has been worked on, id guess by Chris) So i guess ill start testing more drive angles.
ok it looked like one i sold him it ran pretty good thats why i was asking

hey tom,i have a speedmaster stinger laying around here that i was going to install on her, i'll put that in the package i'm sending.... B)

Im not sure if that will help the issue, Hold off on that part, Iv got a spare SV drive i can try, Im not 100% sure a longer drive will help this boat.

Im not a pro for sure but did you paint this hull when you got it? I have seen a few monos get painted and become dogs when too much paint was added to the bottom of the hull. Just a thought.

Paul

Nope, has his original scuffed bottom, and original deck paint.
Pull the trim tabs off,they may be-a-draggin/set too low for a shallow vee.... ;)
these boats actually have a pretty good vee to them they just dont have a lot of freeboard. it will run with trim tabs as long as they dont hang below the bottom of the hull which im sure that bb mods knows that. they should be set level maybe a tad of positive up along with the strut. these little boats run very good when set up properly.mine runs in the low 40s with a stock k/b 3.5

Nope, has his original scuffed bottom, and original deck paint.
Pull the trim tabs off,they may be-a-draggin/set too low for a shallow vee.... ;)
these boats actually have a pretty good vee to them they just dont have a lot of freeboard. it will run with trim tabs as long as they dont hang below the bottom of the hull which im sure that bb mods knows that. they should be set level maybe a tad of positive up along with the strut. these little boats run very good when set up properly.mine runs in the low 40s with a stock k/b 3.5
I think those tabs are like 2 1/2"-3" long,even if set to even, they still might be a draggin due to their length.... :huh: if after all is said and done...(recheck COG) and if it's still "wet".... heck,trim an inch or so off the tabs.... :ph34r:

whats nice about the trim tabs is that the boat thinks its really longer then it thinks it is its a good way to get a couple more inches to your boat without the added weight

Back