CAD Programs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outboardman10

For you guys that design more model on the computer, what CAD Program would you recomend that is easy to use and not to much money? Where would you also reccomend finding them?

THANKS

i remember when i went to college the library sold a version geared toward students the price wasn't too bad $200-$300. i never bought any though i had an insde connection in a desgin company. right now i have a full blown autocadd program. worth $3000.00.

i would say autocad 14 or 2000 and mastercam 8 or 9. i have all 4 programs. :D most people can read these incase you want something machined or laser cut.

jon

Last edited by a moderator:
I design my boats using AutoCAD. I use the full version, but you can get AutoCAD Lite for a couple hundred bucks and will do everything you will need it to do.

Brian

Turbocad used to offer a free version on the web. This had all the bells and whistles except 3D. It was far easier to use compared to Autocad/ Autocad LT.

I bet you can find several freebys if you search for a bit.

AutoCad LT

I have used it at work for years, great 2D program

Who needs 3D anyhow, unless your building something detailed like a car

Never tried TurboCad but sounds cool

On Tom's recommendation I've tried Delta Cad and I found it to be easy to learn and quick to use for those of us who don't earn a living drawing parallel lines on a computer.

Earlier versions of AutoSKETCH can be found for very cheap and are extremely compatible with the multiple version of Windows software. I've run AutoSKETCH on 3.11,95, 98, MILLENIUM, 2000 and XP whithout a hitch.

AutoDesk has a program called VoloView Express (It's Free) and it allows you to zoom, pan and print many styles of CAD prints. It's a cheap way of pasting together a full set of plans from any DWG or DXF file. I've used this many times with great success.

It has been a long time since I used autocad but for what I can remember it was fairly easy to learn and use.

I currently use sdrc ideas and catia as a cad/cam programmer. These are way more tan you want but it is cool to see the end product before you get there. Here is a pic of the one done in catia

View attachment 1256

Back