Business Ideas

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Taylor

I would like to start a boat related business. Was kicking around a few ideas. I could make WOF tunnel hulls. Fiberglass mono or cat hulls from 30" to 94". Custom fabrication, Scale parts, cowls. Then I thought why don't I ask you people what you would like to see or need. Is there a demand for anything that you just can't find?

Give me your thoughts

Thanks

Rick

Grimracer, You were joking ,right?

Doesn't O.S. Max, Novarossi, Picco, CMB, Rossi (AA), OPS, K&B China, Tiawan,(a few Russian guys if you can find them) make engines already? I may be gravely mistaken, but I believe most all of those companies are not manufacturing to full capacity.

Now that we're out of K&B parts, how about mass produced outboards in the larger sizes.

Lohring Miller

Henry Nelson makes a very good .45 outboard manufactured right here in the USA if Pennsylvania is a state and has sold maybe 100 motors to the boat market in 10 years. Sad to say the racing end of our marine market is not the place to make a living. Don't shoot he messenger as it seems most do this for the love of competition and few make a real profit. been there done that. Vendors who resell products and modify motors seem to make it better.

JMO Mic

Lohring was posting while I was pecking away. He is a great outboard advocate and I support them also. We do have a lot of .21 options but larger are few. A good affordable gas gear drive lower is on my list but numbers to be purchased will not produce a builder.

Last edited by a moderator:
A good affordable gas gear drive lower is on my list but numbers to be purchased will not produce a builder.

I'm working on that one Mic. If my boss has his way and lay's me off, It will happen faster. :huh: :D I have them designed in CAD already. I am still up in arms on putting my money into making the molds for them. Anyone want to make a $15,000.00 gambel that they will sell?

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
A good affordable gas gear drive lower is on my list but numbers to be purchased will not produce a builder.

I'm working on that one Mic. If my boss has his way and lay's me off, It will happen faster. :huh: :D I have them designed in CAD already. I am still up in arms on putting my money into making the molds for them. Anyone want to make a $15,000.00 gambel that they will sell?

Mark
Hmmm just have to pass on a mini van and............. Not so sure how the wife would feel if her van turned into boat parts :angry:

Haven't you heard, makin' stuff is so 1980's. Open a Chipotle in your spare time.

Just kidding. A couple people make money making boat parts.

Things in demand that you can't get... Moller Skycar, parts for Toyotas, geiger counters, a job, 70% nitro, a pipe that's always in tune, a faster prop, more time in a day, a new Tubes song, (sorry, What Do You Want From Life just popped into my head).

I'm going to have stop here with my FREE ideas.

Grimracer, You were joking ,right?

Doesn't O.S. Max, Novarossi, Picco, CMB, Rossi (AA), OPS, K&B China, Tiawan,(a few Russian guys if you can find them) make engines already? I may be gravely mistaken, but I believe most all of those companies are not manufacturing to full capacity.
No they need to drop there prices alittle bit!! Then I bet they would sell alot more!! Some Of US dont have big walets to blow on a 300.00+ apop on a new engine! :( :angry:

There are still outboard engines available, but, except for Lawless, there are no lower units available in the larger sizes. The days of mass produced, low cost outboards is pretty much over in the larger sizes. There are still some good hulls, and hull development is far from over. Outboards an excellent introduction to RC boat building because motor installation is easier than inboards. I feel that there is an opportunity for new outboards in gas with a Zenoah powerhead; nitro with a larger than 3.5 powerhead; and electric with a larger, 7.5 nitro replacement powerhead. Complete outboards that are ready to bolt on a transom at a reasonable cost should have a market. Look at the OS outboard http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBY98&P=0 or the Proboat outboard http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Gallery.aspx?ProdID=PRB4000BD&Index=11 for design ideas.

Lohring Miller

I'll throw you a bone. Carbon Zenoah pull start handle. Billet aluminum ones are $15 so a lighter than stock and cool carbon should pull some bucks.

Add a Kevlar pull rope and who knows?

The gas OB lower units eat cables like crazy. If someone made a gear drive, the tunnel I make, and the class might take off!

well worth a poo or not, ever come to production or not arrowshark is jumping an OB for gas

http://www.arrowshark.com/F1-11.php

It is still cable driven. I have heard from the Gas OB guy's that the cable's do not hold up.

From the laps I have put in with my G-Morty cable I don't feel the cable is the weak spot. Bought mine used and totally dissasembled it completely. What I found was a little it of gauling on the prop shaft. It's a stainless shaft in a bronze or brass sleeve that screws into the lower. A long bearing surface but wihout proper lube it is going to bind and instantly break the flex. I polished mine down put a metal liner in plus a grease zerk and a gravity oiler. Sealed the unit so lube has to exit the prop shaft sleeve and I put a few drops of oil on the thrust washer every run. Have not broken a shaft yet but time will tell.

Down side of a fex drive is the prop is 9 inches behind the swivel pin and center of the skeg is 7 inches back. Ergo huge 1700 oz steering servo that is slow on return and boat has to be driven back out of a turn to counter oversteer. A gear drive would move the prop and skeg forward 4-5 inches closer to the swivel pin and make for better handling. That Arrowshark unit looks good and at 2 1/2 lbs you could skip the clutch and get weight down also. Wonder what availiabilty and price are? No US dealers that I can see. Put it in Tower Hobbies and gas tunnel would grow leaps and bounds.

Mic

I agree with Lohring there is a need for a larger than 21 OB lower besides the lawless. .45s run reliably and push larger more seaworthy huls that would be better for newbies. .21 mod is a delicate expensive almost an expert drivers class that could be too much of a challenge for a starter boat.

Back