Burning up HiTech MG225's?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyDuncan

In the past few weeks I've burnt up 4 Hitech MG225 throttle servos. I use 6.0V NiMH rx batteries. Is there a way to regulate the voltage to around 5V to just my throttle servos?

Thanks,

Jimmy

If you do a search, several manufacturers make in line single servo volatage regulators, they are most often used in helicopters for the tailrotor servos as most of the hi performance tailrotor servos are only rated to 4.8v. Tower sells a Futaba unit # PS01RS, think this is what your looking for.

depend on what kind of your reciever ( RX)?? did you use futaba radio set up " HRS" mode for Digital servo if the condition are different, control is impossible or servo may be damaged

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have had a lot of issues with the hs225mg buring out on TH.

Send them back to Hitec and they should repair/ replace them. Take a pic of your th setup and send it in with the servos.

I was looking around on other rc forums and found the in-line step down regulators, and ordered some. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

Allen I use spektrum radios.

I have had serious issues with hitec servos. Futaba makes a servo that is the same size and output. After I switched to them no furhter issues and o need for votage regulation. I was burning up 225 and 81's on 4.8 volts in a .12 and .21 rigger. My thought was vibration was killing them even though I used the rubber insulators. When I spoke with hitec (warranty) they were usure why I sent back 60+ servos all with burnt motors. all used on throttle/remote needls.

Kevin

I have had serious issues with hitec servos. Futaba makes a servo that is the same size and output. After I switched to them no furhter issues and o need for votage regulation. I was burning up 225 and 81's on 4.8 volts in a .12 and .21 rigger. My thought was vibration was killing them even though I used the rubber insulators. When I spoke with hitec (warranty) they were usure why I sent back 60+ servos all with burnt motors. all used on throttle/remote needls.

Kevin
I found the same issue in one of my scale's, engine is hard mounted, and I think it was the vibration, just ate up the 225MG's

Switched to the Futaba, I think it's the 3101?? and (knock on wood) haven't had an issue.

I have used the 225MG for years on throttle and remote needle on all my boats.I run them with a JR R-1 transmitter and R 330S PCM receivers on 6 volts.Never had a problem.Your problem may not be the servo.I presume your radio box stays dry.

Harvey

It is hard to beleive that hitec has not looked into this issue when so many of the 225's are burning out.

For me the shortest I have had one last was one run.

Not fun when you just put a new servo in and it dies the next run and the servo was not under any strain or got wet.

I keep the raido box as dry as you can expect. After a crash where the boat stays upside down for an extended length of time 5mins. or so there will be a little water in the box. That being said the last servo to burn up never made a run in the boat. I had to change a servo just before a race. Got it changed, taped the box up throttle worked. Sat in the pits of a heat or two, went to start the boat for my heat and no trottle took the cowl off and box had smoke in it.

I'll get some futaba's and try them out.

Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.

I have used the 225MG for years on throttle and remote needle on all my boats.I run them with a JR R-1 transmitter and R 330S PCM receivers on 6 volts.Never had a problem.Your problem may not be the servo.I presume your radio box stays dry.

Harvey
maybe it's JR equipment.... i use 225's for throttle on my tunnels, & steering on my rigger & mono. all .21 sized. 1600 mah nimh 6.0 volts rx packs. i use a JR xs-3 synthesized tx & both rs 300 & 310 rx's. not the first issue. use 81's, 82's & 85's randomly on throttle for rigger & mono & third cjannel in all boats. i like 'em, have for 7-8 years now. i have some that i got used in a hull that i've been using for 5 yrs., not sure how old the throttle servo in my #8 bud villain is........

I just put one in a New Boat on third chanel & it had to be replaced before I came the the line for the 1st time.......

Check out what Allan said about 'HRS' especially if the servo is 'buzzing'. I use a Futaba 3PK that has an HRS mode. If you are set to use HRS and are using an analog servo like a 225, it will burn it out pretty quickly. An HS81 will even burn out quicker! Futaba analog servos seem to have a bit more tolerance, especially if they are larger, but they too will eventually burn out. Also, I thought I was ok when I set the modulation to PPM when I first put several models in the xmtr, but when I added a new model, I did not notice that the set-up defaulted back to HRS. The instructions are not the most easily understood when setting the modulation. After you enter it the set-up screen you have to make sure you power down and back up to make sure the PPM mode is actually stored. I now check the modulation on the screen every time I turn the xmtr on. If you can rule out 'HRS' as a possible cause, then make sure there isn't any binding. I had an HS225 on a VS1 tunnel throttle cable that corroded just enough to slow the cable travel down and the servo burned up after a couple of runs. I replaced the cable with better material and now inject WD-40 into the sleeve after every days use. RC

Yeah, I have NEVER hurt a servo because of voltage...and I run 7.4 volt (Lipo 2s) with no regulator in all of my boats. But I have toasted one because my TX went to the HRS mode when I programed a new boat.

Glenn

Hitech

A guy could go broke saving so much money!

60 servos.. Schnikees! Im sponsered and dont own 60 servos let alone need to send them all in.. yikes!

Grim

I hate to say this ,but I burned up a quite of few of Hitec sevos myself and now I run Savox servos and have not looked back..

Hitech

A guy could go broke saving so much money!

60 servos.. Schnikees! Im sponsered and dont own 60 servos let alone need to send them all in.. yikes!

Grim
I know what you mean. I saved them so I could use parts if gears let go. After a while of loosing a couple servos a race I contacted Hitec and they told me to send them all in. When I spoke to them reguardiing them they told me half were covered under warranty. They also stated most had motor failure. I still was happy as the warranty replacement costs is quite a bit less than I paid for them. These were used in boats and planes. And yes some planes were hurt in the process.

Latest posts

Back