Building the Dave Frank O -boy -0berto for brushless power

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

Hi all im in the process of building a Dave Frank O-boy Oberto from the plans in the Nov 1993 RCBM magazine for brushless power. My ? is sponson depth according to the plan from the bottom off the center section to bottom off the sponson measuring at the sponson transom is a 1- 1/16'' depth which seems a little deep most sport hydros and riggers in this size bracket have sponson depths of 1/2''- 3/4'' depth.Would there be any advantage for deep sponsons as opposed to shallow sponsons? Regards Andris Golts.

I know the guys that race 1/10 scale electrics with Washington's E-RC/U run a 6* AOA so that might have something to do with it. You could contact them at http://e-rcu.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I started racing boats with Dave Frank back in the day. You got to remember when these plans came out. Early 90's. Back then when your were talking electric, it was balsa boats, brushed motors, mechanical speed controls and 1400 nicad for power. The boats were slow. Needed a ton of air under them to keep them out of the water. Speeds back then were around 35max. Now a days you can put a brushless motor on a 2x4 and haul the mail. You may have to add an air **** at the front of the boat to trap less air. If you build it like the plans says you will have a 50mph kite.

Mike

Latest posts

Back