Building Binge!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Gibson

Supporting Member
019.JPG 005.JPG 018.JPG What's not fun about building wooden water hot rods!! Redoing a ML Boat works FE hull I bought on here, and building a FE Wild Thing, a Blazer Marine FE 20 Whiplash, and last, but not least, a very old 20 PaynPAK kit I found in a bag down in the basement! Boy! talk about a trip back in time!! The last 20 Pak I built was 40 years ago! not sure if ill go electric or nitro.....ive got a K&B 3.5 I.B. marine with the can muffler NIB that works good in one of these old boats....we don't know how good we have it with lazer cut, or cnc cut boats, unless we build a punched out DUMAS kit!! Note the differences between a fairly modern hull like the Whip....and the ol' PaynPak from the 1970's!
Just wanted to add, that the Wild Thing is a ML kit and pure pleasure to build....Mike, your kits are AWESOME! You keep ol guys like me HAPPY!!

Last edited:
we don't know how good we have it with lazer cut, or cnc cut boats, unless we build a punched out DUMAS kit!! Note the differences between a fairly modern hull like the Whip....and the ol' PaynPak from the 1970's! Just wanted to add, that the Wild Thing is a ML kit and pure pleasure to build....
great! I have a few original Dumas kits (I purchased back in 1980's), been sitting in my garage for 30+ years. Hoping to build at least one of them. Is it even worth using the original punched wood parts? Or should I (somehow) use new wood? Where can I have laser-cut?

great! I have a few original Dumas kits (I purchased back in 1980's), been sitting in my garage for 30+ years. Hoping to build at least one of them. Is it even worth using the original punched wood parts? Or should I (somehow) use new wood? Where can I have laser-cut?
David, a lot of folks do use better wood, but the Pak im building is using the orginal wood and im building per plans just for the heck of it! Just curious....what kits do you have?

David, a lot of folks do use better wood, but the Pak im building is using the orginal wood and im building per plans just for the heck of it! Just curious....what kits do you have?
I have a SK Daddle 60 kit (very hard to find these days). Been sitting in my hot garage. Not sure how good the wood is

I have a SK Daddle 60 kit (very hard to find these days). Been sitting in my hot garage. Not sure how good the wood is
David, you might want to see about getting some 1/16th plywood for the skin of the boat.....that's definitely a kit from the good ol days! I just found a "Miss Unlimited" kit under a pile of stuff in my basement.....!

David, you might want to see about getting some 1/16th plywood for the skin of the boat.....that's definitely a kit from the good ol days! I just found a "Miss Unlimited" kit under a pile of stuff in my basement.....!
yes, thanks. I will definitely use new plywood for skin. Also plan to outline, or trace, each original wood part onto paper for future use (maybe have converted for laser-cut).

Latest posts

Back