Brushless questions, what Motor & Batt?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speed Jr.

I have a Barracuda 80 ESC. I would like to build a Rigger for it, so whats my option for Motor and Battery? I would like to do this for fast speed runs, not racing or anything. Not really into electrics, yet ;) So need some suggestions. Thanks in advance,

Larry Gempp Jr.

PS and where I can get the motor/batt at reasonable price......

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetai...rigged-insanity

This might be a good option if you keep it on 4s but with a higher wind motor like a 9XL or 10XL Fiegao motor. It won't be blazin fast but it should be pretty fast. If you decide to get a higher amp ESC later you can get a 7XL or Neu motor and it will be a rocket.

Your other option is to find a smaller Climate models Blizzard hull but they are getting harder and harder to find.

I traced out all the blizzard rigger kit parts to plan awhile back and have since built a new blizzard from the plans, it came out much better than the kit did if you decide to go that way i can send you a PDF copy through email--there easy to follow--I also have plans for a predator rigger(thats next on the list to build) i could send also through email--both hulls are 6 cell size shoot me a PM if ya want them--

here is some good set-up info on the blizzard

http://www.rcboataholic.com/building/blizzard_rigger.htm

here are 3 different motor's that would work with that ESC

feigao 7s or 8s

lehner 5300

props to try 632 and 1732 --seem to be the popular choice

bats are your choice, Im gonna run nimh 6 cell packs in mine

solinger hardware fits nice, fullers crumbgrabber hardware is also a nice set-up

Picture below is the blizzard I just built

100_1601.jpg

100_1603.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Aquacraft Super V 27 motor (and speed control) are becoming very popular in the Pacific Northwest. Its low cost and good performance has made several sped motor classes popular including a 55+ mph rigger class. The 80 amp capacity of your speed control should be about right.

Lohring Miller

I would not suggest using the Hydra with a SV27 motor. Use only the speed controller made for the motor.

I was just at a race where Castle, Schultze, and the Super V controllers were all used with the Super V and Blackjack motors. I don't understand why the Baracuda wouldn't work, though the speed control that comes with the motor is very good.

Lohring Miller

Bench tested a Hydra 120 with the sv can. The motor became very warm when pulses were sent while programming. After setting up, the motor ran with an odd vibration. I put the A/C controller back on and it ran smooth and cool again.

If you don't want to limit yourself to "boat specific" opinions on here, I'll tell you how to really haul tail for cheap getting plenty bang for yer buck..

Many of the BL motors from car companies do great and in most cases are under 70 bux and will work great with a barracuda 80

Castle, NOVAK, TEKIN, etc.

Even check this ebay motor out for 42 buckaroonies! Now this is even a boat specific motor! http://cgi.ebay.com/Electric-brushless-mot...id=p3286.c0.m14

Batteries, you can fair out inexpensive with Maxamps 10,000 cells, they work great in boats

You can't beat the little car motors in a small hull like that.. A novak 3.5 will get a climate blizzard well over 65mph in oval trim

What's even better is that you can walk into your local hobby shop to get one, and their parts like rotors, endbells, bearings etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
stepping into electric one of the main things i seen quickly was the massive motor choice you have far out reaches nitro and gas by a land slide, hull choice is also far better. liking it more and more the further I research into it!!

Latest posts

Back