body filler-something other than 3 minute set??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Ferrette

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Vendor
I can't find any plain auto body filler that's just regular slower cure. Everyone that I've tried carries the lightweight super quick curing bondo, great for patching a hole but not so great for blending joints on a scale hull. You need a little more than 3 or 4 minutes to work a nice smooth blend from say a sponson side to the deck or ram wing. Anobody know where you can still find the old school 15-20 minute cure stuff??? :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find any plain auto body filler that's just regular slower cure. Everyone that I've tried carries the lightweight super quick curing bondo, great for patching a hole but not so great for blending joints on a scale hull. You need a little more than 3 or 4 minutes to work a nice smooth blend from say a sponson side to the deck or ram wing. Anobody know where you can still find the old school 15-20 minute cure stuff??? :blink:

Don,

Are you mixing this in a cup or on a flat plate? If in a cup, try a flat plate it will really slow down the cure time.

Ron Jr

Don,

Are you mixing this in a cup or on a flat plate? If in a cup, try a flat plate it will really slow down the cure time.

Ron Jr
Ron, always a flat plate. All the stuff I found around here is the lightweight quick set stuff, about 4 minutes tops working time. :blink:

Don,

Ron Jr
Ron, always a flat plate. All the stuff I found around here is the lightweight quick set stuff, about 4 minutes tops working time. :blink:
try less hardner the amount of hardner will differ with the temp....u should have longer than 4 minutes work time.

Don,

Ron Jr
try less hardner the amount of hardner will differ with the temp....u should have longer than 4 minutes work time.
one more thing I am sure u are not trying to use it in direct sunlight that will really set it off fast

...try less hardner the amount of hardner will differ with the temp....u should have longer than 4 minutes work time.
I wish I had more than 4 minutes. That's what they put right on the label as a selling point- lightweight & quick setting.

I have got Bondo at Home Depot and White Cap. Do you guys have White Caps? Awesome place. Any way I am thinking that Lowes would have it too.

Hey Don....I use 30 min epoxy and microballons. Mix it thick(thicker than the directions say) and spread it on with a popsicle stick. My joints come out smooth and shiny. The most time consuming part is scraping off the excess. Good luck and God bless!

Hi Don,

You should be able to find a body shop supply house in your area. you want polyester resin body filler.

Prob'ly have to buy a gallon...............

or,

Go to a home center or hardware store and find Minwax High Performance Wood Filler.

It's just like Bondo, only tan instead of pink or blue. you can control the set time with the amount of hardner you use.

oh yea................ it aint cheep!!

Bob the Fool :blink:

Don; i used to use the Epoxylite years ago when i flew patern models. the stufrf is pretty good and especially stong. yuor LHS will probably NOT have it. order it from Tower or from SIG.

carl

I use to use evercote polyester filler super smooth comes in a small tin for spot puttying.

Back