Boca ceramic bearings

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowdog-2112

Has anyone here ever gotten Boca ceramic bearings? I've searched their site and have no kits premade for the K&B 3.5ss outboard although they do for the inboard.

I can order bearings if I know the bearings sizes in millimeters or inches. Does anybody have this info available.

Thanks,

Snowdog

According to Mecoa's site, the SS uses the same size as the other 3.5 outboards. Measurements I don't have without taking something apart.

Anybody have some laying around you could measure?

Snowdog. I would be a little careful with the ceramics. I have run them for several years in my OS outboard and my RZ. I have also put new ones in each year. I never had any trouble with the OS engines but I can't get them to live through a gallon of fuel in a Nova Rossi. I have two of them come apart in two different engines. Always the main bearing and the race comes apart first and then it spits the balls out. Then it gets ugly after that. They may be fine in a K&B but like I said I was a believer but am taking them out of all my engines as of now. Bill :(

Ive used the ceramic in the k&b and they work great but like the others said the cages and races are what wear out way too fast, the balls look like they will last forever?? now I use the standard boca bearing in all my engines, they last alot longer if you take care of them and they are cheaper. my.02

~ James

Hi Guy's,

One of the problems with running ceramics in the Nova motors is they are designed with the bearing having an offset track eg the balls don't roll in the middle of the race like normal. Part of the reason they are so dear. Nova has them made especially. I would guess it is in the design that places a 'bad' type of load on conventional design bearings which desatroys them.

Just a guess but could be the reason. If they worked well in your OS they would most likely work fine in a K&B.

GT 8)

All,

Good information from eveyone. Osracer, looks like your problem's cause has been found. Despite this, I still cannot find the dimensions for the bearings in the K&B 3.5SS outboard. I was sure that it's engine rebuild time for many and this information would be readily available. Perhaps with this post I'll get more info.

Oh, Grim, the first Villian has made it to Europe! You can be sure it will make a great impression at it's first race in April.

Thanks all,

Bryan

Bryan,

The small bearing is an imperial dimension , it's an R4-Z which measures .250x.625x.196. The larger bearing is metric MR6901/13 dimensions 13x24x6mm. If you order from Boca the high heat/high speed kit is ENK-50HS. These bearings will last a whole season with good afterun maintenance and properly balanced props.... Martin.

All,

I received the bearings Tuesday. I must admit I was disappointed when the "kit" included only two bearings. $69.95 for only two bearings? Good thing they didn't charge shipping!

Just FYI, the kit # is now, ENK-50C.

Thanks for the help,

Bryan

Back