Blazer Lauterbach Build Thread

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Rich, do not trim the deck overhang off above the sponson yet. You can use that overhang to hold the sponson deck down by cutting various lengths of the 1/8 X1/8 spruce pieces and wedge them along the inner side of the sponson deck to hold it down.
You sent me some pics back in December and one of them portrayed this exact thing and I’ve had it planned to do it this way all along. Slick as snot “Uncle” Bob, as Lippy calls you!

If you don't mind a suggestion I'll offer it. At the transom with all those nuts, I would place a piece of aluminum over the wood, because over time with the force, the nuts compress the wood and have to be retightened if you remember to do it. When they loosen could effect handling and that always happens at the worst time. I built one a few years back but haven't run it yet.

If you don't mind a suggestion I'll offer it. At the transom with all those nuts, I would place a piece of aluminum over the wood, because over time with the force, the nuts compress the wood and have to be retightened if you remember to do it. When they loosen could effect handling and that always happens at the worst time. I built one a few years back but haven't run it yet.
Solid idea. I could just epoxy that in and tap the aluminum instead of using nuts.

Looks awesome Rich!!
Man, your thread has put me in a building mood!!
Been looking at putting a new plane together, but I have so many boat projects in play, it's hard to think about starting something completely different...

But,,
Airframes kinda replicates hydroplane framing...🤔
I really should get moving on finishing up at least one boat first...
But then again, I do miss building planes and flying... decisions, decisions decisions....

Looks awesome Rich!!
Man, your thread has put me in a building mood!!
Been looking at putting a new plane together, but I have so many boat projects in play, it's hard to think about starting something completely different...

But,,
Airframes kinda replicates hydroplane framing...🤔
I really should get moving on finishing up at least one boat first...
But then again, I do miss building planes and flying... decisions, decisions decisions....
If you build it… he will come…😂

Seriously Rich, I have been following your build and the quality of your frame work and detail of the decks has been an inspiration...

Nothing left to do except bust out some CA, epoxy,,, open a big box of sticks, and get busy!!

Seriously Rich, I have been following your build and the quality of your frame work and detail of the decks has been an inspiration...

Nothing left to do except bust out some CA, epoxy,,, open a big box of sticks, and get busy!!
Well Frank I appreciate the props and I’m glad that what I’ve done this far with the Lauterbach has inspired you to build. If you do, document it I’d love to follow along!

Sponson Tops. These are tricky. I took Bob Blazers advice and cut some 1/8” square basswood at various lengths which came out to 1 1/4” for the longest and maybe 5/8” on the shortest and various lengths in between. The trick is leaving your decks untrimmed for this step. The sticks wedge between the tops and the underside of the deck. I did a trial fit and I used a sponson shaped piece of plywood as a flat clamping surface underneath. I found that using wax paper didn’t work, the clamps would just slide off so I had to be real careful about making sure any residual epoxy was wiped off the surface. It seemed to work best wedging the sticks in first and then the ratchet clamp on the sponson transom all the while holding the front end of the plywood underneath with some tension. The next clamps were the spring loaded clamps at the tip. Then the large spring loaded clamp at the back corner and finally the homemade pvc pipe clamps. I wish I had video of me putting the last couple clamps on my trial clamping and I bumped a couple others and the whole thing basically exploded in my face😂. I won’t repeat the words that came out of my mouth or my actions but you can imagine. I was alone in the house at the time so it was quite colorful. Anyway, sponson two is clamped up. Next will be trimming everything back.
A52355E4-3A79-4533-A9E0-B3EDEF490BF8.jpeg5C8E6D0D-23B8-47D5-845D-F3CC8FAA53EA.jpeg2525ECED-0BAB-4A27-9CFC-4244BDC0F840.jpegC5B43BC7-D15E-44D4-A307-5BCC4475B527.jpeg296FCA64-6D69-4337-AC17-B7B3E2508849.jpegE56C2E0A-7350-4E17-8A26-C0779625C8F9.jpeg9ACD643C-5DF4-4F49-9D96-D3675B0F87D5.jpeg

Had to stop in and SAY WOW ! ! !. Looking SWEET RJ !
I am Just gettin home from work at 4 am Now headed to the Perry Ga Swap Meet all things RC.... Hope.

Latest posts

Back