Best Radio Telemetry Solutions?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a HiTech Lynx 4S radio NIB. The Proton 4 receivers are still available even on Amazon. The Proton 4 is a telemetry receiver with on-board GPS, and plug-in sensors for temperature, rpm plus full-time receiver voltage monitoring.
It even has a micro SD card slot and earphone jack if you want to add tunes to your RC experience!

I found a HiTech Lynx 4S radio NIB. The Proton 4 receivers are still available even on Amazon. The Proton 4 is a telemetry receiver with on-board GPS, and plug-in sensors for temperature, rpm plus full-time receiver voltage monitoring.
It even has a micro SD card slot and earphone jack if you want to add tunes to your RC experience!
We love these radio's, have used them ever since they first came out...

If you are only looking for GPS speed data maybe all you need is a SKY RC GNSS. You can pull the boat in within 15-30 ft (typical bluetooth range) and your phone can connect via the app and pull the speed and distance traveled.

If you wanted to look at more affordable options outside of Futaba...

Traxxas has a GPS module that can be added to their radios and you use your phone with the radio to display the data.

Another option is the quasar talking radio. From what I have seen the GPS is off by a few mph but decently accurate.
https://oxideanmarine.com/products/...al-radio-with-receiver?variant=42271474680025

I found I didn't have time to look at data while running the boat. A data logger allows data to be carefully studied after the race or test. Electric speed controls often have built in data loggers. We ran Eagle Tree data loggers for years, but they are no longer in business. There are others.

Lohring Miller

Hey Lohring,

What other options are there that do similar to Eagletree?

Thanks
Kris

That does look pretty good. In what way is it better than eagletree?

The logger is smaller and can do 20Hz vs 10 for the Eagle Tree, it's also way more flexible to set up, ie: you can start/stop it via the transmitter.

It uses a micro SD card which is easy to pull after a run and look at. I got an extension and servo taped it to the radio box lid, cover the opening with radio box tape.

It has three analogue inputs that can be used for other sensors like thermocouples, I log EGT and CHT with two of them.

The software is open source and very "configurable" so you see what you want, the developer is very helpful if you have issues.

Plus it's available and supported. :)

Last edited:
Thank you Terry, the 20Hz thing is definitely a plus!

I have 3 Eagletree datalogger units all with GPS also...so it is hard right now to justify the money on another type of unit...but maybe I will like playing with the data enough to want to change it up :)

I also like the comment about it being available...its a HUGE advantage haha

Back