Best prop balancer?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that would be Frank Orlic.

His prop balancer is jeweled and it is the best one I have ever seen and used. I have the good fortune that a close friend of mine had one and I have had the opportunity to use it. The problem is Mr.Orlic only makes them a few at a time and they are very hard to come by. If you can find one get it you will not regret it.

Good luck!!!

Jose

How about this one.

It's made from one inch thick aluminum plate, it's 5 inches tall, 3 inches wide, 6 inches long and it weighs over 2 pounds so it won't move around on the table while you're working.

It comes with 1/4 and 3/16 inch shafts.

I'll have 20 pieces on the shelf by the end of this month. If anyone's interested, I'll post the price.

BALANCER.bmp

Attachments

• BALANCER.bmp
    955.3 KB · Views: 329
I use the top flite one, had it for as long as they have been out. Works for me.

I'll second the Top-Flite balancer. For $20.00 it's cheap and sensitive. I've done props from small nitro to gas on it.

How about this one.

It's made from one inch thick aluminum plate, it's 5 inches tall, 3 inches wide, 6 inches long and it weighs over 2 pounds so it won't move around on the table while you're working.

I'll have 20 pieces on the shelf by the end of this month. If anyone's interested, I'll post the price.
Hi Steve, Using Magnets? Drill blank shafts with points ground on them? Thanks Mike

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Steve keep us posted on your design. I'm interested in one when you get them made.

How about this one.

Hi Steve, Using Magnets? Drill blank shafts with points ground on them? Thanks Mike
Hi Mike. I use 4 pound magnets and I have drill blanks made in custom lengths then I have the points precision ground. It's expensive, but it makes for a really good balancer. One thing I refuse to substitute is quality for quantity.

How about this one.

Hi Mike. I use 4 pound magnets and I have drill blanks made in custom lengths then I have the points precision ground. It's expensive, but it makes for a really good balancer. One thing I refuse to substitute is quality for quantity.
Thank you

I used the double wheel style for years but had stepped shafts made for different size prop bores. The O.D. that went in the wheels was .125 (1/8"), that made them sensitive enough to do a good job of balancing. You could use and 1/8" shaft and then shim up to prop bore dia. with K&S brass tubing in the center where the prop goes and locktite the brass sleeves in place. "NOTE " If you use the tapered cone style shaft for balancing a prop the faces on each side of the prop hub have to be machined square to the bore or the balancing shaft will be crooked through the prop bore and you'll get an off balanced prop.

Thanks, John

The Top Flite balancer will get you in the ball park, but the cones being molded plastic are crude at best. I used a Du Bro balancer ( about $30.00? ) to balance my 7 inch diameter 3 blade stainless props for my C Stock hydro when I was racing big boats. It was actually more accurate than the $800.00 balancers that some of the prop makers used. I thought it was a shame to pay $350.00 for a new, ready-to-run prop that I had to rebalance and buff out finishing marks on. If I showed you what I have been balancing my R/C boat props with for the last 30 years you would all laugh. But it is the best and most sensitive that I have found. I take it to all the races. If you would like to see it just ask me at the races. No pictures or other explanations here because I don't want to hear the "keyboard engineers" tell me why other balancers are so much better. It works for me..........that's all that counts.

Dick Tyndall

Back