Balancing side to side

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of correct information here..from the guy's that know what there talking about. (Not all do) a nicely balanced prop. Helpes in more ways than most might think. A few that are is a balanced prop won't shake your glue joints apart and can extend eng bng life. I'm not a prop expert, but. I get mine to ballance at all 4 positions. Knowing where to remove stock can be tricky (watch if leading or trailing edge falls)

When balancing a prop and the prop does not have a heavy side but balances side to side, but does not randomly stop and always stops side to side, where do you remove material on the prop to get it to randomly stop. I can send a video if needed. I’ve had feedback that the prop is still out of balance and material should be removed from the trailing edge or hub. Looking for help. Thanks
Those balancer shafts & cones are not good . The cones do not always seat correctly , & they do get groves out from the dive dog slot ,& the shafts are usually bent , check that on a piece of glass , or granite counter top, to check if it’s the cones or the shaft , just move the cones with the prop on it , while holding the shaft in the same spot , see if the prop is still landing in the same spot

Those balancer shafts & cones are not good . The cones do not always seat correctly , & they do get groves out from the dive dog slot ,& the shafts are usually bent , check that on a piece of glass , or granite counter top, to check if it’s the cones or the shaft , just move the cones with the prop on it , while holding the shaft in the same spot , see if the prop is still landing in the same spot
So what is the best balancer and set up is best ? Is there such a thing as over analyzing the setup ? I don’t like the cones either. The set up should “somehow” locate off the bore. Cones locate off the edge or chamfer of the bore. Just my thoughts.

Not for the timid, but I have a hardened stub shaft and drive dog setup I can chuck up in my air powered die grinder... stick the prop on and give it a spin when I'm close to finish balance...
Vibration or lack thereof helps me decide how close it is to being complete...

You'd be surprised how much harmonics an out of balance prop goes thru at different rpm's... and as we all strive to achieve perfect balance on our props, I have to wonder how much difference it really makes, as it's just static balance and as soon as the prop hits the water and loads up,, a thousand other uncontrollable factors come into play...

As one may guess, balancing props is a "Black Art". But, at the same time, pretty much only as hard as you want to make it. Sort of... I've always done most of my own balancing and sharpening. Yet, I will not pass up any bit of information to do with props. Doesn't matter who or where the information came from. You never know where a potential good bit of information may come from. Or, remind you of what you take for granted because you've done it for so many times! A wake up call.
I prefer my magnetic balancer. Every balancer has it's own short commings. The shaft I use, I've checked for straightness. I ground the shaft ends so that I know they're centered. I position the rod with the prop on it so that the assembly isn't touching both magnets. My balancer has porous surfaces. I know this because when I spin the assembly, I can watch it follow unseen minute tracks/ditches in the face of the magnet until it stops falling down the face. Looking for the appropriate piece of glass to solve that problem.
I also use a Dubro Balancer. The problem with these is that the amount of weight the prop is off has to be enough to overcome the weight of the wheels of the balancer. Watch how your prop and shaft suddenly stops turning. Although slow...
But, like Wasted wages pointed out, at what point do you stop and say "good enough"??? With drive cable spinning, drive dog and such...

Last edited:
Not for the timid, but I have a hardened stub shaft and drive dog setup I can chuck up in my air powered die grinder... stick the prop on and give it a spin when I'm close to finish balance...
Vibration or lack thereof helps me decide how close it is to being complete...

You'd be surprised how much harmonics an out of balance prop goes thru at different rpm's... and as we all strive to achieve perfect balance on our props, I have to wonder how much difference it really makes, as it's just static balance and as soon as the prop hits the water and loads up,, a thousand other uncontrollable factors come into play...
Balancelng a v-8 for every rpm is impossible. That's why it has a harmonic Ballancer up front. Ballanceing for any narro rang is possible.

The glass is a much smoother surface than the face of the magnet. And will stay that way compared to the Lexan that came with it. But, of course, you do have to be much more careful with it.

Ken

Some good information in this thread .
I would suggest you check the ID. of the hub before you do anything, hours of balancing is pointless on a prop with an oversized bore!

Latest posts

Back