BEST Hull, Modified Engine and Pipe???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard the Shawns Vision 20 won some of the heats this weekend down in florida against some lynx's and other hulls!
Yes he did. Shawn Junker Had a win overall in 20 stock class. Did you hear about the Modified 20 class?

Heard the Shawns Vision 20 won some of the heats this weekend down in florida against some lynx's and other hulls!
Yes he did. Shawn Junker Had a win overall in 20 stock class. Did you hear about the Modified 20 class?
I posted the results in the Race Results forum where they belong. Remember this is just one race and there were some real rocket ships that beat themselves right out of the points. Down the road we hope a STRA lap timming event will put all the hype aside and the lap times will tell another side of speed. Was great to see a local tunnel turn out with National champions,World champions, US-1's, and record holders on the course and in the pits. Special thanks to Charleston boaters for making it down.

Mic

Hmm, Yeah I see the results. I think that vision with a high power motor could take that lynx tho! lol Saw a lot of Visions in that stock category! Randy, I know I don't know you other than the positive things I have heard, but its all in good fun man, please don't take anything personal! I just love seeing the competition out there. All these boats make the whole tunnel thing so much better, and makes me enjoy running mine even more! Mike

Like I said do not take one afternoons results and make a blanket application. Randys LYNX and a few more were rocket ships. I like and drive a Vision but it kind of comes down to driver and individual setup. The LYNX looks to be comming availiable again and thats great for racing. Gonna be kind of a Nascar like Chevy-Ford-Dodge-Toyota rivalry comming in the future for model tunnel racing. Brand loyalty and new race teams comming into play. Shawn and Randy and a few more are going to be matched up here in Fl and at the Worlds. Maybe a outboard masters series needs to happen. Can you spell STRA.

Mic

Hmm, Yeah I see the results. I think that vision with a high power motor could take that lynx tho! lol Saw a lot of Visions in that stock category! Randy, I know I don't know you other than the positive things I have heard, but its all in good fun man, please don't take anything personal! I just love seeing the competition out there. All these boats make the whole tunnel thing so much better, and makes me enjoy running mine even more! Mike

Mike,

I don't take it as a jab, I give as well as I get. I have been a close friend of Shawn and Rich since the early 90's, as I live in the town where they were raised up.

We have worked hard down here to promote Tunnel racing in the Dirty South,

And we race and laugh and race some more...

Shawn builds a solid boat, ask him where the bottom design came from. :)

I know, question is, do you.

I am here to proudly announce that the LYNX production is in full layup mode, and the boat is once again available, not a splash, but the real deal.

In your profile I see a lot of boats, do you have room for another?

Contact Ron Drake, [email protected] for prices and delivery schedule, he looks forward to your call.

LYNX, RACE ONE OR CHASE ONE.........

Randy

Randy, I would love to give one a try, but from all the pics I see, it would be impossible to fit the battery, esc, etc. into the narrow cowling that the Lynx has. I have always wondered how it would do, but I am gearing up to build my own FE 20 size tunnel that will handle the extra weight, and a very large powerplant for 60+mph. I will get it right, just gonna take some test time! Mike

Both are good boats. In the stock class Shawn clearly had superior horsepower on the field, just like in the modified class Randy clearly had horsepower on the field as well as another equally fast red and yellow Lynx who would have placed in the top 3 but just fell to some ill luck this weekend, Horseshoe something or another is what I wanna say his name is ;) . When you have that kind of power on the back of your boat, it's hard to lose and will make any boat look good that can handle it.

Now with that said, not knocking the Vision 20 whatsoever, given a perfectly setup Vision versus a perfectly setup Lynx with equivalent horsepower, the Lynx has got an edge. Aerodynamically, the Vision just isn't ready to handle the 58+mph power generator that Randy has on the back of his and won't go through the corners quite as smoothly. It's still a good boat though and if they keep working with it the Vision technology won't be too far off the mark before too long, but as of now the Lynx has got it. Their Vision 40 boat on the otherhand, in my opinion is the best readily available.

My Top .21 Boat Choices:

• Lynx
    Vision
    Sniper II (Not the original)

-Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Now if we could teach Randy to paint! Decals and Ductape!

KIDDIN BROTHER..stay warm...

Here is to hoping for a good 2009/10 build season.

Grim

Randy, I would love to give one a try, but from all the pics I see, it would be impossible to fit the battery, esc, etc. into the narrow cowling that the Lynx has. I have always wondered how it would do, but I am gearing up to build my own FE 20 size tunnel that will handle the extra weight, and a very large powerplant for 60+mph. I will get it right, just gonna take some test time! Mike

Mike,

Available space, custom box up to 18+ long, 1.75 to almost 2.0 tall at front, 3.25 tall at rear, 1.75 wide at front, 2.25 wide at rear.

We would have to punch out the fuel tanks forward bulkhead to allow total length.

I looked at what went into GrimRacers FE, (Pack, ESC, etc...) and placements. How big is the pack?

Depends on location to obtain CG. You've seen pics, I can give numbers to accommodate you. Height is still able to add, but numbers I gave you are established heights and widths within the installed cowling. There is still room to fab.

Guess I have to build a FE next. Got the Nitro figgerd out.

RP

If you glue the cowling to the hull, then cut out a 'hatch' in the cowl it gives you HEAPS of room...I will take a pic of what I did with my Vision ;)

Kris

Now if we could teach Randy to paint! Decals and Ductape!

KIDDIN BROTHER..stay warm...

Here is to hoping for a good 2009/10 build season.

Grim
Correction, I'll update my .21 boat choices and slide a Nemesis into that close 2nd slot. Now if we get just get Mike to put them back in production... Maybe a NS-1.... :ph34r: Haha kiddin with ya brotherman :p

-Mitch

Randy, judging my the initial measurements you just gave me, it would be an EXTREMELY tight fit to do FE in a Lynx. So tight that I could not spend the money one of them to even chance it! I would love to give it an honest test to tho! Grim really needs to get this Nemesis back on the market, and I have this odd feeling it will be, as an Aquacraft soon. It doesn't make any sense for him to just make it disappear..sneaky sneaky!

Mike

Randy, judging my the initial measurements you just gave me, it would be an EXTREMELY tight fit to do FE in a Lynx. So tight that I could not spend the money one of them to even chance it! I would love to give it an honest test to tho! Grim really needs to get this Nemesis back on the market, and I have this odd feeling it will be, as an Aquacraft soon. It doesn't make any sense for him to just make it disappear..sneaky sneaky!

Mike
We Are trying to figure it out so the option is there for this boat to show its potential. There are many FE racers in FL, and I am just trying to provide the info. Is it possible for you to PM me layout of a open box, with dimensions of components like the pack and servo placements, I know NOTHING and will work on some number crunching here for the future. Secrets aren't going anywhere, just trying to educate myself.

Mikey's boat is KILLER, and way ahead of its time. he is truly an innovator. The TBM just wanna shave his head so he looks like MIC.... :) :D :) :lol: Just TALLER

Randy, a good size box, big enough to be effective is going to be about 18" in length, at least 2.5" wide at the rear of the boat and 2.5" at least 10" forward, then it can start narrowing down from there as the receiver and servo will be the only things at the front. The height..well, probably 2.75" minimum towards the back. The more height the better as you can tuck the battery under the esc if you have enough height and get that weight to the back of the boat, minimizing off throttle turning dip and flip. Let me know what you figure out! Also, a good good good idea...would be to offer the Lynx in either full carbon fiber, or epoxy glass without gel coat. The weight is KEY. Remember, a typical 4cell lipo 5000mah pack is gonna weight around 11 ounces, so that weight has got to be countered if possible! Every ounce counts. Here are some pics of my Vision and Cobra setups:

IMGP0671.jpg

IMGP0663.jpg

IMGP0662Large.jpg

IMGP0592.jpg

IMGP0590.jpg

Nothing mythical about it now boatwreck. They are being produced as fast as time will allow. I picked up mine this weekend at the Brandon Florida race, along with a couple other guys. Ron Drake and Randy Premo are building them. The boats are just as perfect if not better than when Carl was building them. You can rest assured that most anything that comes from Drake and Premo (IMPBA Record holder, US1 champion, and current World Champion) will be absolutely perfect. Those guys are working very hard to finish off the "list" that was passed around to the other guys who were unable to produce the boats. Once the list gets done, they will be available to anyone. Your best bet is to send a PM to Randy Premo about the boats, he can answer your questions and/or point you to Drake.

Thanks, James

Both are good boats. In the stock class Shawn clearly had superior horsepower on the field, just like in the modified class Randy clearly had horsepower on the field as well as another equally fast red and yellow Lynx who would have placed in the top 3 but just fell to some ill luck this weekend, Horseshoe something or another is what I wanna say his name is ;) . When you have that kind of power on the back of your boat, it's hard to lose and will make any boat look good that can handle it.

Now with that said, not knocking the Vision 20 whatsoever, given a perfectly setup Vision versus a perfectly setup Lynx with equivalent horsepower, the Lynx has got an edge. Aerodynamically, the Vision just isn't ready to handle the 58+mph power generator that Randy has on the back of his and won't go through the corners quite as smoothly. It's still a good boat though and if they keep working with it the Vision technology won't be too far off the mark before too long, but as of now the Lynx has got it. Their Vision 40 boat on the otherhand, in my opinion is the best readily available.

My Top .21 Boat Choices:

• Lynx
    Vision
    Sniper II (Not the original)

-Mitch
the snipper 2 and lynx diffently can handle the power. but i think the snipper 2 is better in the turns, but i'am not making the power randy is.don't get me wrong i love my lynx .this is just my opinion

shane

Mikey's boat is KILLER, and way ahead of its time. he is truly an innovator. The TBM just wanna shave his head so he looks like MIC....
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif
Just TALLER

huh.gif
blink.gif
That would be one strange sight...Even stranger if Mic had a tail...or a mullet.
laugh.gif

Mikey's boat is KILLER, and way ahead of its time. he is truly an innovator. The TBM just wanna shave his head so he looks like MIC....
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
laugh.gif
Just TALLER

huh.gif
blink.gif
That would be one strange sight...Even stranger if Mic had a tail...or a mullet.
laugh.gif

mic with a mullet :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: roflmao !!!!!!!

Back