BEST Hull, Modified Engine and Pipe???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Dias

Hi,

I would like to know what is the best .21 Hull, drive, engine and pipe.

I have a VS1 with a modified OS engine with a silver bullet pipe, and also a cobra .21 hull, and I don´t Know what to do with the engine, I bougth an OS drive and I am thinking to equip it with the CMB .21 outboard with a silver bullet pipe, is it vailable? Do you agree, or should I do it with other parts?

Photos:

IMG_0532.JPGIMG_0531.JPGIMG_0535.JPGIMG_0537.JPGIMG_0533.JPG

Best Regards

David Dias

Portugal

Hi,

I would like to know what is the best .21 Hull, drive, engine and pipe.

I have a VS1 with a modified OS engine with a silver bullet pipe, and also a cobra .21 hull, and I don´t Know what to do with the engine, I bougth an OS drive and I am thinking to equip it with the CMB .21 outboard with a silver bullet pipe, is it vailable? Do you agree, or should I do it with other parts?

Photos:

View attachment 15642View attachment 15639View attachment 15640View attachment 15641View attachment 15638

Best Regards

David Dias

Portugal

The Vs-1 is hands down one of the best sport boats available, although they don't have much success with the modified powerheads because the boat itself is kind of small and with the speeds guys are seeing today out of the CMB's and Nova Rossi's of 55mph+ they just over power the hull. Meaning if you're wanting to buy a CMB, your better bet would be to put it on the Cobra or another hull like the Lynx, Sniper, Vision, Nemesis, HTB, etc, etc. If you just want to go out and have fun though, personally I'd just put the stock can on the OS on the VS-1 and you'll be faster than half the guys running modifieds and twice as consistant.

~Mitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks for your advise! :rolleyes:

In your opinion what is the best engine and drive?

Best Regards

David Dias

Portugal

Nova Rossi mounted on a Lawless or OS lower unit, and a Cooper/Silver Bullet/Gadjet/or Irwin pipe. But you just spent $700 bucks unless you buy it used.

What Mitch said was dead on, the little OS with the stock muffler will be VERY competitive at most places with a well set up boat.

~James

Best engine and drive? I'd have to agree with James, a Nova Rossi or even a CMB RS if you get the right people to "talk to it." ;) with a Lawless or OS lower and in my opinion the best pipe is the Cooper by far as I've ran all of them that James mentioned except for the Gadjet, and the Cooper seemed to have a couple mph over all of them. The only problem is finding one is getting to be next to impossible.

~Mitch

Hi,

Thanks James and Mitch. :D

I will put the Silverbullet on Cobra and the standard OS exhaust on VS1, I bought yesterday on towerhobbies the OS drive, so I just need the engine :lol: I will put 3channel on cobra.

About the engine I like the CMB and I think is more easy to find spares for him in Europe, maybe I will buy on of them.

I would like to see some videos with cobra running, do you have?

Best Regards

David Dias

why isnt the MAC 21 ob as a better motor...what is wrong about the MAC and can it be improved...thanks...bob miller

Hi,

I think tha MAC .21OB us the same of the CMB .21 OB

Isn´t it?

Best regards

David Dias

Hi,

Isn´t it?

Best regards

David Dias
Not exactly. The MAC OB is more similar to the MAC buggy engine. Its just doesnt work great without a lot of work, and then it is very finicky. Every now and then one will perform well, but its not just a "bolt on and go" motor.

~James

I would like to see some videos with cobra running, do you have?
I don't have any but get ahold of Dan Hutchinson here on this forum, he may have or know of someone who has a video of the Cobra running seeing as he's the new builder of the hull.

~Mitch

Hi,

Isn´t it?

Best regards

David Dias
Not exactly. The MAC OB is more similar to the MAC buggy engine. Its just doesnt work great without a lot of work, and then it is very finicky. Every now and then one will perform well, but its not just a "bolt on and go" motor.

~James
James im interested in your comment here.. i run Mac obs and have no problems with them at all.. I run a stock one and so dose James Kessing in our club and they are two very competetive boats..

Can i ask what you mean by alot of work??

The CMB ob has issues in the PTO.. it breaks cranks... I personally wouldnt go a new CMB.. if you want CMB get a green head LS much better motor. Or win the lotto and buy a Nova LOL

I had ran all ob powerheads and pipes mention. For me, CMB is the winner for overall. Nova is top for speed but hard to find the crank. Rossi and Mac also good but spare is a problem. So I go to CMB with cooper or irwin alternated and OS lower. This work great with Cobra for me.

Video, go to www.sniperboat.com

As far as I know sniper and cobra is the same design except material.

Hi,

So the CMB is the same os MAC?

Can you find interior photos of the CMB and MAC to see the diferences.......

Best regards

David Dias

Hi,

Isn´t it?

Best regards

David Dias

~James
James im interested in your comment here.. i run Mac obs and have no problems with them at all.. I run a stock one and so dose James Kessing in our club and they are two very competetive boats..

Can i ask what you mean by alot of work??

The CMB ob has issues in the PTO.. it breaks cranks... I personally wouldnt go a new CMB.. if you want CMB get a green head LS much better motor. Or win the lotto and buy a Nova LOL

We have also broken three CMB RS's, crank and two rods for no real reason. Not real high in my preference of engines, but at the same respect there are a couple guys who played with them enough to get them going good and be reliable.

The MAC, like I said, they have issues all on their own, crank case volume, bowl volume, etc. It's been a while since I have messed with one. All I know is 90% of them that I have seen and run have been pigs until you do some work to them. Once you are able to get some RPM, they get finicky with getting on the pipe. There is a reason not many of them run around here, its because the Nova is king. He was asking what we thought were the BEST engine, so thats what I mentioned. It sounds like you guys have had good luck with them for whatever reason, that's great! Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage any one from a particular brand, just giving my perception of the engines based on my experience. If my opinion sways someone one way or another, so be it. I can honestly think of 3 MAC OB's (out of probably 15 or 20) that I have seen over the years that have been competitive, not really the gamble I want to take. The rest were consistently slow or randomly fast. Hardly ever consistently fast. In fact, my race partner has one in his trailer that is probably one of the fastest boats I have ever seen, but its only that way 1 out of 4 heats. Its not for lack of trying with it either, its just a headache.

~James

Hi,

Isn´t it?

Best regards

David Dias

~James
Define "a lot of work". And where do these mythical "bolt on and go" engines come from? I f you don't take the time to check the internals for cleanliness, and proper assembly and clearances you could very likely end up with a bolt on and slow...or worse, bolt on and blow.

David,

You are new to this, so the overload of information you are requesting as a new boat enthausiast is a bit much. Many a boater jumps in and gets money invested in happiness, only to receive misery in the end. That is a recipe for selling, not enjoying this hobby.

Your first boat should be one you can go to the lake and have fun with, learn how to drive, and learn fine points like setup, prop selection, getting something you feel comfortable with.

Be able to join a club, and run with other boaters. There isn't a person on here that won't help you, but you are far away, and people you can run with will help your experience.

Hopefully there are races that you can attend, and that will be your most beneficial as a boater, other boaters running the same size boats, and you can learn a lot of the fine points of Tunnel boats.

Much of what we do ends up being defined by Dollar$, how fast do you want to go. Speed costs money. Fun is free, keep fun in it first, get settled in, then start to climb the money ladder. You will take steps up, and take steps back as you go into the modified engines.

Starting out your best bet right now is the OS XM 21 outboard. Reliable, parts are readily available, and run really good. I am running a 5 year old OS that gets bearings once a year, and still hauls butt.

You can upgrade this to a modified and will run well with minimum work, or you can buy a out of the box modified (CMB) and start the money game.

Run for a year enjoying the first one, keeping headaches low and fun high.

Start building the other one, and don't rush the build, you have a fun boat that will help you make decisions on the other.

And you have another persons opinion. Put a OS on your boat, start enjoying, filter through all of this and keep asking questions. The advice on here is great, but YOU are the one that has to enjoy it in order to stay in it.

I started over 20 years ago with a stock boat, got involved in a local club, and learned to have fun with other tunnel racers. I have watched many people jump in, spend unreal amounts of money trying to go "fast like him", and a year later you could buy all the stuff for 50 cents on the dollar......Fun first David.

Stay in touch.

Randy Premo

David.

Randy Premo just gave you the best advise in this whole thread.
smile.gif

We have also broken three CMB RS's, crank and two rods for no real reason. Not real high in my preference of engines, but at the same respect there are a couple guys who played with them enough to get them going good and be reliable.

The MAC, like I said, they have issues all on their own, crank case volume, bowl volume, etc. It's been a while since I have messed with one. All I know is 90% of them that I have seen and run have been pigs until you do some work to them. Once you are able to get some RPM, they get finicky with getting on the pipe. There is a reason not many of them run around here, its because the Nova is king. He was asking what we thought were the BEST engine, so thats what I mentioned. It sounds like you guys have had good luck with them for whatever reason, that's great! Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage any one from a particular brand, just giving my perception of the engines based on my experience. If my opinion sways someone one way or another, so be it. I can honestly think of 3 MAC OB's (out of probably 15 or 20) that I have seen over the years that have been competitive, not really the gamble I want to take. The rest were consistently slow or randomly fast. Hardly ever consistently fast. In fact, my race partner has one in his trailer that is probably one of the fastest boats I have ever seen, but its only that way 1 out of 4 heats. Its not for lack of trying with it either, its just a headache.

~James

Amen to that Bro! After talking to some real go fast guys at the last NAMBA nats, Many of

them agreed that CMB's and Mac were very finicky engines to get right. The Novas also took a fair amount of work to get them right too. But the kicker is that once you get any of

the mentioned powerheads to run strong you can easily overpower the boat that its connected to. The up side is that they are Sick Fast, No Doubt about it. The cost and determination to perfect one of these little beasties is a bit much for me but I'm sure impressed when someone gets one straightened out.

You could always switch to FE, and never have to worry about finding "the pipe". The power and torque is always there, and no headaches of noise, or engine tuning..Just set the lower unit angle, find a prop that works, and electrics choice. I will never go back to nitro..The only difference in nitro and brushless power..is the lack of noise, and I never have to worry about stalling out in the middle of the pond. Not trying to bash nitro cause I know its a huge deal in racing, but I have had so much more fun in this hobby getting away from dragging nitro fuel and starters/ starter boxes down to pond side, dealing with temp changes, pulling boats back in cause they stalled out in the middle of the pond, and I am now faster than I ever was with my nitro setups..and probably cheaper. Not to mention, I am running a boat within a couple minutes of getting to the pond, and home quicker so the wife doesn't complain about the countless hours spent at the pond just trying to get a motor started, then trying to tune it cause the temperature changed 20 degrees since the last time I ran! Also, if I blow off a boat, I just pull it in, shake excess water out of the motor, and throw it back in, and keep running..no restart, or glow plug removal, just keep going! haha. Just being open minded! Mike

Back