best fuel option for my gas boat?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got it direct from Zenoah that the stock engines only need 90 RON gasoline, which is equivalent to 85-86 octane here in North America. you people running leaded 100 octane gas are really something else.

Zenoah's are designed to run on 87 Octane so it does little to any good to run them on anything higher.

After burning nitro for years Coleman fuel seems like a huge bargain. No nasty additives, no need to change the needle settings, smells better and I don't have to constantly change out the diaphragms. Years long shelf life is another plus.

Zenoah's are designed to run on 87 Octane so it does little to any good to run them on anything higher.

After burning nitro for years Coleman fuel seems like a huge bargain. No nasty additives, no need to change the needle settings, smells better and I don't have to constantly change out the diaphragms. Years long shelf life is another plus.
And you can cook breakfast with it. I honestly don't have a clue how gasoline runs in my engines, all they've ever seen is Coleman camp fuel. I also have never had to change a diaphragm or rebuild any of my carbs. I do have a spare carb, but it leads a boring life in my parts box.

I got it direct from Zenoah that the stock engines only need 90 RON gasoline, which is equivalent to 85-86 octane here in North America. you people running leaded 100 octane gas are really something else.
It isn't about the octane. Clean, consistent, non odoress and no ethanol is why people often run something that is higher than is necessary.

You should ask Zenoah how 55 octane Colemans lantern fuel is able to run in stock and modified Zenoahs without issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't about the octane. Clean, consistent, non odoress and no ethanol is why people often run something that is higher than is necessary.

You should ask Zenoah how 55 octane Colemans lantern fuel is able to run in stock and modified Zenoahs without issues.
Yup, that's why I run AV fuel. I don't trust the pump fuel from local gas stations. I'd rather trust the airports.... As long as I have the option, AV fuel it is.

Hard to believe, but 100LL has NO smell!

So.....after all of that it should be simple...............Run what The HELL YOU WANT!!!! There is NO BEST OPTION!!! ONLY YOUR OPTION!!!!

So.....after all of that it should be simple...............Run what The HELL YOU WANT!!!! There is NO BEST OPTION!!! ONLY YOUR OPTION!!!!
Exactly !!!!run whatever makes your world a better place . Lets say this , if you run av , Rec 90 , VP etc you won't have water specific problems .

Here's a thought fill up with what ever you want in gass 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank and add 50% nitro to the other 1/3 to 1/4 tell full and open your needle up about a full turn on the top end needle and about a half on the lower end and watch it come alive.

Got bored with my gass boat and did some testing and had fantastic results . Pass ya later Charlie

Yup, that's why I run AV fuel. I don't trust the pump fuel from local gas stations. I'd rather trust the airports.... As long as I have the option, AV fuel it is.

but it does have lead in it.

Yes, it does.
default_wink.png

Yes 100LL is loaded with lead which makes it even better. Lead is a lubricant so it has absolutely no detrimental effects on our two stroke engines.

If your worried about yourself or the environment then don't sniff the fumes and the little bit of fuel we burn wouldn't be a trillion of a percent of what airplanes are filling the air with.

Actually the 100 Low lead is anything but low lead. It actually contains more than 3 times the lead that 1970's leaded regular automobile fuel had in it.

Almost all racing done with two stroke engines the race fuel they are running is of the leaded variety and they could just as easily bought the same but unleaded but they all choose leaded.

Actually VP usually brings only one fuel to Motocross racing tracks and that is VP C12 which is leaded. They run it in two and four stroke engines.

If your worried about yourself or the environment then don't sniff the fumes and the little bit of fuel we burn wouldn't be a trillion of a percent of what airplanes are filling the air with.
this is an incredibly self-absorbed and thoughtless stance. other people are standing near you in the pits while you spew a neurotoxin into the immediate area. if you're OK with breathing tetraethyllead go right ahead, but try and have some consideration for other people and don't blast it into the air around them.

there's a growing body of evidence that the rise of violent crime in the 1960s and the subsequent fall starting in the 1990s is directly linked to leaded gasoline:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknapp/2013/01/03/how-lead-caused-americas-violent-crime-epidemic/

if you want to ignore that evidence along with lead's known toxicity just because you think it makes your little toy run better, that's up to you. And if you're one of those guys who takes pride in the junk you spew into the air, then I don't know what to say to you.

You can find a lot of things that the internet can find a way to correlate or corroborate.

I do no doubt believe lead is dangerous at the levels it used to be in our air from billions of gallons being burnt by our automobiles but not sure if can really believe that report that it was the cause of the rise in crime at any point in time.

The next report will say it was something in the water. The next it was government experiments gone wrong. The next will say it is caused by alien activity.

Granted it surely is a possibility but just because there was lead in the air and violent crime was on the rise that that is any proof of anything.

Just as an example anyone could say something like I think it was caused when they started putting seatbelts in cars and I can show you a map that proves this fact.

Maybe it was when they started putting fluoride in the city water. Exactly anyone could say look I found the reason and can show you the correlation on paper. Certainly that makes it a fact. Maybe mercury was the reason. There used to be a lot of that stuff around back in the day.

We used to play with mercury at school. So now you know what happened to my brain cells. Today they would close the entire school over one drop of mercury. We used to play around a lot with carbide for carbide lamps at school. Oh man wet that stuff and it stunk the high heavens. I had a fire going on my desk one day from lighting a piece of wetted carbide. It turns to acetylene gas when you wet it. Neat stuff.

The FBI says crime is same today as it was in the 1960's. http://www.christianpost.com/news/violent-crime-rate-in-us-keeps-dropping-lowest-since-1960s-65266/

Maybe the Forbes writer got it wrong and it was the 70's that the lead was causing the violent crime increase.

FBI doesn't bother to mention the lead issue if that is truly a fact of what the cause it would be so common knowledge certainly it would have been mentioned. Also it would seem it would be pretty important to stop it's use entirely don't ya think if the lead was the real cause of violent crime in the past.

Why would we not just have an outright ban on lead just like anything they stop producing because of the danger. Lead could be outlawed just as easily if the uses allowed were still posing such a threat to the population.

These are just some of the banned chemicals lead could have been added just as easily. 1 million pounds of lead is produced in the US yearly. They could limit it's use by a lot more than they have easily. Sure it is the politics and money that is keeping it around kinda doubt it is because our little toy boat engines like the stuff. Either that or they don't want the violent crime to stop completely. Lol.

Chemical Name CAS Registry Number (or EDF Substance ID) ALDRIN 309-00-2 ARSENIC OXIDE (3) 1327-53-3 ASBESTOS (FRIABLE) 1332-21-4 AZODRIN 6923-22-4 1,4-BENZOQUINONE, 2,3,5,6-TETRACHLORO- 118-75-2 BINAPACRYL 485-31-4 2,3,4,5-BIS (2-BUTENYLENE) TETRAHYDROFURFURAL 126-15-8 BROMOXYNIL BUTYRATE EDF-186 CADMIUM COMPOUNDS CAE750 CALCIUM ARSENATE [2ASH3O4.2CA] 7778-44-1 CAMPHECHLOR 8001-35-2 CAPTAFOL 2425-06-1 CARBOFURAN 1563-66-2 CARBON TETRACHLORIDE 56-23-5 CHLORDANE 57-74-9 CHLORDECONE (KEPONE) 143-50-0 CHLORDIMEFORM 6164-98-3 CHLOROBENZILATE 510-15-6 CHLOROMETHOXYPROPYLMERCURIC ACETATE [CPMA] EDF-183 COPPER ARSENATE 10103-61-4 2,4-D, ISOOCTYL ESTER 25168-26-7 DAMINOZIDE 1596-84-5 DDD 72-54-8 DDT 50-29-3 DI(PHENYLMERCURY)DODECENYLSUCCINATE [PMDS] EDF-187 1,2-DIBROMO-3-CHLOROPROPANE (DBCP) 96-12-8 1,2-DIBROMOETHANE 106-93-4 1,2-DICHLOROETHANE 107-06-2 DIELDRIN 60-57-1 4,6-DINITRO-O-CRESOL 534-52-1 DINITROBUTYL PHENOL 88-85-7 ENDRIN 72-20-8 EPN 2104-64-5 ETHYLENE OXIDE 75-21-8 FLUOROACETAMIDE 640-19-7 GAMMA-LINDANE 58-89-9 HEPTACHLOR 76-44-8 HEXACHLOROBENZENE 118-74-1 1,2,3,4,5,6-HEXACHLOROCYCLOHEXANE (MIXTURE OF ISOMERS) 608-73-1 1,3-HEXANEDIOL, 2-ETHYL- 94-96-2 LEAD ARSENATE 7784-40-9 LEPTOPHOS 21609-90-5 MERCURY 7439-97-6 METHAMIDOPHOS 10265-92-6 METHYL PARATHION 298-00-0 MEVINPHOS 7786-34-7 MIREX 2385-85-5 NITROFEN 1836-75-5 OCTAMETHYLDIPHOSPHORAMIDE 152-16-9 PARATHION 56-38-2 PENTACHLOROPHENOL 87-86-5 PHENYLMERCURIC OLEATE [PMO] EDF-185 PHOSPHAMIDON 13171-21-6 PYRIMINIL 53558-25-1 SAFROLE 94-59-7 SODIUM ARSENATE 13464-38-5 SODIUM ARSENITE 7784-46-5 2,4,5-T 93-76-5 TERPENE POLYCHLORINATES (STROBANE6) 8001-50-1 THALLIUM(I) SULFATE 7446-18-6 2,4,5-TP ACID (SILVEX) 93-72-1 TRIBUTYLTIN COMPOUNDS EDF-184 2,4,5-TRICHLOROPHENOL 95-95-4 VINYL CHLORIDE 75-01-4

Here's a thought fill up with what ever you want in gass 2/3 to 3/4 of a tank and add 50% nitro to the other 1/3 to 1/4 tell full and open your needle up about a full turn on the top end needle and about a half on the lower end and watch it come alive.

Got bored with my gass boat and did some testing and had fantastic results . Pass ya later Charlie
Nitromethane doesn't mix well with gasoline. However, ethanol is a mutual solvent and we tested a mixture of nitro and gasoline in an M&D Zenoah. The results are below. Again the problem is the engine is running a pipe designed for gasoline with a fixed ignition timing and head volume. The results are at the best needle setting.

Lohring Miller

Nitro Tests.JPG

That graph tells it all for me Lohring. Why piss around with additives etc when the good ol 87 is equal to if not better than nitro and bang for your buck cheaper as well

we have to run 91 coz that's the lowest octane you can buy at the pump in NZ

regards Grahame

That graph tells it all for me Lohring. Why piss around with additives etc when the good ol 87 is equal to if not better than nitro and bang for your buck cheaper as well

we have to run 91 coz that's the lowest octane you can buy at the pump in NZ

regards Grahame
Grahame,

Your country uses the RON instead of RON/MON/2 our country uses so your 91 octane is actually 87 octane by the RM/2 method.

Research octane rating is always higher than the average of research octane and motor octane.

Back