Best ESC for 9S+ LiPO 100A? Powering 63" Riva

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannu

Howdy!

Well, not particularly Fast Electrics, but a bit challenging project:

My question is for finding a good ESC for 9S lipo, or more up to 12S even, power levels apprx +100A.

It is intend to go my twin-motor 67" size Riva Aquarama scale mahogany boat,weighing

apprx 50lbs.

Motor set-up is going to be 2 pces 10-pole outrunners, T-REX 40-500, from Flyware.

As it is a scale boat, reverse operation is needed, and this feature seems limiting

a bit esc´s available, for high voltage/amps combination.

Any good ideas?

Thanks & BR,

Hannu

Hannu,

For those high voltage levels you are looking at a small selection of esc's. Off the top of my head:

Schultze 40.160WK

or wait for the new Castle Hydra HV's to be released.

If you are running below 100A you can probably also use a Castle 110HV with cooling fans for a boat.

MGM and several others may have something too.

reverse operation will never be a problem for brushless set-ups, just reverse two of the wires and presto.

Tyler

I beleive the Hannu would like to go reverse while the boat is on the water.

That is a problem with the schultze. You can try the reverse setting but I would not stake my life on it working...especialy with a 10 pole.

I would hold out for the supposedly coming HV controllers from Castle.

You will also need 2 speed controllers. Do not try to run 2 motors on one. You'll have an expensive pile of junk.

Hi,

many thanks for input, it really seems to be a slight problem to find reversible ESC for this power set-up.. :blink:

I had a one Castle 240 Hydra on 6S/5000 Hacker evo packs with my Lehner 2280-6, and it burned quite quickly,

I think Castle was badly underequipping fets in that.. That happened 100A load

Also CC Hydra 240 was getting very hot with my Shark-20 10-pole in my 40" Riva Ariston, just in less than 1/3rd

power settings, I would guess that is infdicating poor handling of high rpm/ high pole calculations, loosing syncro

all the time in full throttle. I guess CC still can not handle this kind of set-up´s, am I wrong, anybody had similar experience?

MGM Compro is looking interesting , as they say they been focusing also in this kind of low inductance motors " backlash",

but I still dont know, if there is a reverse in it.

Older experience about very expensice schulze was nothing but bad, they where some 2-3 years ago

not at all capable handling multipole motors, I dont know if they have made any success on that area yet?

Thanks & BR,

Hannu

isoRiva_097_.jpg

I use the shulze 40 - 160 in all my high cell count boats. I also have a smaller shulze in an 1/8 scale buggy and the reverse works fine in there. Castle controllers are only good to 5s. I know they say 6s.

Mark

All of my motors are Neu motors. I'm not sure how the shulze will work with outrunner style motors.

Mark

Hannu...

are you looking for scale speeds? And I am presuming that you will be running at part throttle for large durations? This could be where you are coming undone in this application.

Maybe a DC setup would be more suited to this application?

Hi,

Well, actually target is to go bit over "scalespeed"..

Below is link to short clips of my smaller 40" Riva Ariston (14.5lbs weight), Lehner 2280-6 equipped, up to 150A with 6S 5000mAh Hacker Evo lipos

40" Ariston goes a bit over 38mph gps measured , but I think 67" Aquarama wont get even close those speeds, would be very glad if reaching25-28mph

But to get even closer target speed, weighing of close 50lbs , it needs a plenty of power..!

BR,

Hannu

Hi,

Well, here we go, first testings made with Riva 63", esc´s used now is Turnigy Sentilon 2-12S 100A from United Hobby, they seemed working

fantastic with 10-pole motors. Totally cold on 50amps continous running(static measured), starting smoothly etc, very nice esc at price 100,- USD :p

Short videoclip of yesterdays first twin-motor run:

BR,

Hannu

P1020580.JPG

Pretty darned cool to see a 60" beast move out that well and scale like.

Super neat project. Glad it's working out for you.

Hannu sweet boat. DId you ahve to do the rc conversion or as it purpose built?

In relation to your earlier question Schulze and Kontronik have had the most efficient controllers at part throttle. However companies like castle seem to have done work in this area in recent years and as long as the esc is overrated it will probably be fine for a long time

However because brushless escs have poor part throttle efficiency a jumper system so you can run say 12v for scale speed and 24v for fun speed at WOT might help to maximise runtime at the lower speeds.

Also have you experimented with a hook in the bottom of the hull or a moveable trim tab? Most scale models of these sorts of hulls seem to run nose up versus the very flat attitude of the originals. I am looking for a system to try and get the runnign attitude more scale. You models has excellent potential, the wash from it looks scale in the video.

Hi,

Thanks, Andrew

Well, in matter of Castle what I used for short moment last summer in smaller Riva (104cm length), Castle Hydra 240A could not keep timing

in any of the advance settings tested, it allways dropped off from syncro lets say at 30% power. And it was killed at 6S/100A

Like had a bit experience before, higher rpm-multipole combo in boats seems to be real pain for ESC, but this cheap Sentilon looked so far to best tested.

This boat has been mostly converted from display-style ARF-model to running model by us, quite a lot of hours to make it work properly.

It would be more than interesting to see later on, how much this Turnigy Sentilon can really be loaded, but at this stage it is not purpose to squeeze it to the top

limit, there is quite a bit job for trimming it, like you said, this nose slapping is next one in the list. I think it would be easily tested with wooden trim blocks,

maybe somehing like 120-150mm long ones, to get an idea how much it need those. Balance point is also one, it is difficult to say only with very limited run-time, where it should exactly be, definately anyway more to nose.

Finally it looks real winter came,today - 5 C, our pond is now mostly frozen, so it may take some weeks when it is open again, anyway good time for making mods and finalize all bits & pieces ;)

BR,

Hannu

wow thats beautiful!

I was wondering where i could get hooked up with a boat similar to this

I know there are a couple RTR ones. but not sure where to find them

Hi,

OK, our Pickala Pond finally released its winter jacket, and we where the first playing with boats Thursday evening there,

a quick video footage of of my Riva and also smaller one scratch built by Mika , wich was equipped also with stereos.. :D

MGM has several different speedos that will work perfectly for you - including reverse.

PM me for additional information. JH

Those on board shots are really cool. That gives you a totally different aspect of videos.

A very pretty pond to run in also.

Back