Belly pans

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggerman

On my 1/16 scale Miss Thriftway it would be good if i could lower my Picco .15 another 1/4'' lower to clear the cowl i was thinking of installing a belly pan my sponson depth is 3/4'' at the sponson transom my knowledge of this situation i limited . Iknow on my sport .40 sponson depth is 1 3/16 and belly pan depth is 5/16''my ? is is there some relation between sponson depth and the depth and width of a belly that may be installed once again any info would be great.

I run a belly pan in my 21 hull. no added drag .I believe the measurement is 3/8 on 21 and 1/2 on 40. Namba rules. They don't call it that, but point to it in the rule book. Belly pan is good for dropping your engine, and in my hull it is a drain. Slope it up to nothing in the front.

Bob Tuttle 276 B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding a belly pan will not in itself cause a problem if it is designed correctly. Treat it like a sponson. Make a the corners good and sharp and give it a possitive angle of attack. My sport 40 belly pan is very close to the water at low speed. Some think it is a third sponson. The boat runs quite well.

Mark

On my original post on Dec 29 i mentioned the specs on my Thriftway they have changed a bit sponson depth is 13/16'' and the belly pan now has to be set down 3/8'' at the flywheel instead of a 1/4'' so the side exhaust would clear the cowl and the deck i would prefer not to cut up cowl and deck as this would destroy its scale appearance.Once again having the belly pan this deep and flaring both ends of pan to hull treating it as a sponson as mentioned in the previous post would this cause any running problems? What about belly pan width say 3'' wide to fit tank and radio box? Any help would be great.

Back