Bardahl...Round Two

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Barnes

Well...Josh Stollfuss met me at the Ford pond on Saturday. I had a great time, even though the boat didn't get full lap. Before I had gotten to the pond I had lowered the strut a little and put on a 1460 to see if it would be any different from last Thursday. It did help a little and the boat went out about 12' (a new record) then the nose dove and she stalled. The engine fired right up and didn't have anymore problems with it running. I believe the problem was that the carb had come loose Thursday and was sucking air. Next we tried adjusting the angel of the strut. That didn't do much but we did get out a couple of more feet. It kept leaning to the right side and the nose would dive and she pull in water. I had allot of practice retrieving that boat, and man are the heavy and hard to lift when they are full of water. I decided to pull the strut down as far as it would go and added a 457 3 blade. We fired it up and headed for the launch it went out and was trying to get up but didn't want to pop off the surface...so I got a little ticked and just pulled back on the throttle and she broke free and took of like a rocket.

It caught me by suprise and I was a little shakey with the steering, took it on the back straight away and she was stuck nice and haulin. I then realized that I was to far out and tried to bring it in closer to the course and did some havic on the corner bouye. She kept going and started making some wierd popping noise and stalled. Brought it back in and the pipe had slide out of the coupler and caused it to stall. I didn't get many runs in but I was happy to know that the changes I had made wern't the problem and it's just a matter of time before I get it figured out. I'm going to add some more room for adjustment on the strut and make some changes to tightening things down.

I would like to thank Josh for spending the time to help me get it running. He made the day a great exsperience aside form the little set backs on the boat. Looking forward to my next visit. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to see ya stickin to it... See yesterday was beter than the day before...and the next time will be better than yesterday,,, These boats take a long time to get dialed in... (Irace gas boats so i can say this) ,,... nowadays with a gas boat you csn pretty much put the boat togeather step by step and be competitive on sat/sun,, these scales take forever.... glad to hear your spirits are going in the right direction....

Hmmm, didn't we just go thru a whole thread in round one with the common theme of recommendations being ..... drum roll please ..... a smaller prop? :p

Just ribbin' ya a little Ray. Seriously though step down even further to a X455/3 & get it running consistently to where it will launch, run many laps & come back every time, then start messin' with the bigger blades. BTW- a 1460 had alot of lift & you might find the boat is much happier with an X457/3 or a 1457 (if the hull can handle the lifting of a 1400 series) & a touch shorter on the pipe. People all too often get obsessed with running too big a prop because so and so said that's what you need to go fast when a slightly smaller (read easier to launch) prop & a shorter pipe (more RPM) will accomplish the same thing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to give Mark Shouland a call and pick up a 455 3 blade. The current pipe length is at 11 1/2".

With all this help I'm getting it should be no time at all that it's going to be dialed in.

Thanks for the input. :)

Ray that was alot of fun running our scales on Saturday and I was happy to help out. If the pipe had not slipped out on that last run, I'm sure you would have been able to run the tank dry. You had it to the point where you could really throttle it back and it would stay on plane. It looked good on that couple of high speed laps you got in. The boat has good speed and was sticking in the corners. Lots of potential!! We'll have to get together one of these weekends and run our scales again!

Josh-

Back