Awesome speed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what was the point of this thread?

What is the point of this thread now?

Dam spoiled babyboomers, gonna ruin the world eventually!

Jeff

All this bickering is going to turn away newcomers.

I'm not going to quote who said what, it’s a bit ridiculous to say the least and it doesn’t really matter anymore.

I am going to say this, at our race last year we had zero rtr's entered.

This year we are going have to run at least 2 heats for them.

One full heat is made up of boats just from the Wichita area, all of them Vegas's.

We have some coming up from Texas, We have 4 in our club alone.

If things keep going the way they are then next year we may have to have a separate race for the rtr's.

Yes the price tag of about $279.00 is a great way to get new people into the hobby but when the Vegas first came out wasn’t it a bit more ?

The Proboats used to be $349 but now they are about the same as the Vegas.

Our first Vegas was a bit closer to the $300 mark and by the time we did the mods that have to be made (changing props, turn fins, mods to the rudder, etc.)

it ended up costing alot more.

We paid $24 for the first Grimm Racer turn fin, now they are only $16. Prices tend go down as production increases.

Why not have an rtr that already has all the upgrades incorporated into it ? It may start out a bit higher in price but it can come down as time and production allows.

Can't we welcome the new boat with an open mind ?

The Vegas was slammed by a lot of people when it first came out and look at how popular it is now...

Things take time to get all the bugs worked out, it did with the Vegas (and there is still more things to fix ) and I’m sure with the Proboat too.

And if somebody does have one straight out of the box going that fast, bring it to our race and take home the trophy.

If you have an rtr that is not a Vegas that falls within the rtr class rules, then bring it to our race and take home the trophy.

We can even have a grudge race just to see, hmmmm, what have you got to lose ?

Just for the record we have 3 Miss Vegas's in our household and none of them can go 40, even with mods.

This is in no way meant to slam anyone, we all love this hobby and it needs a variety of new boats to keep new people interested.

So what was the point of this thread?What is the point of this thread now?

Dam spoiled babyboomers, gonna ruin the world eventually!

Jeff
The point of this thread was to talk about a boat...

Last edited by a moderator:
Food for thought. ;)

In alot of other forms of racing,including Slot Cars,there's a max limit to the cost af a RTR.

To end all of the BS,I would suggest a maximum cost of $300 for an RTR.

That will keep out the people with the deep pockets on the same playing field as the rest.

There's nothing worse than being blown away with deeper pockets and not being able to do the same mods on there Vegas or Pro Boat or...... because it didn't come that way from the FACTORY.

The $500 RTRs are NOT stock.There Mod boats no matter how you slice it.

If they would like to spend the big buck,there's always Sport 20.Everyone has an option.

RTR Boats MUST remain stock or it should be legal for everyone to send there boats to Rod Gereghty for a $200 tune up!. B)

Same deal as TL.

KEEP RTRs STOCK!

Hum.. looking at the bottom of the boat it would be interesting to learn where he got the former layout for the design.

How long is this boat?

Grim

Hmmm, interesting input. There is definitely a need for stock class, perhaps with price limits, minimum quantities produced, or grouping boats by price. As far as modifications go, many of the people running RTR boats want to be able to do some mods. If we only implement a stock class, we immediately disenfranchise a significant number of people. That's why the discussion rules Kelly and I wrote contained a stock and a modified class.

Hmmm, interesting input. There is definitely a need for stock class, perhaps with price limits, minimum quantities produced, or grouping boats by price. As far as modifications go, many of the people running RTR boats want to be able to do some mods. If we only implement a stock class, we immediately disenfranchise a significant number of people. That's why the discussion rules Kelly and I wrote contained a stock and a modified class.
STOCK wont happen,its too hard to police. RTR with ground rules should work. With the RTR boats just starting to multiply rules should be in place before it get crazy. But a lot of makers of these boats have not seemed to care about our rules just building boats

Chuck,

I'd suggest the wording for the stock class to be "box stock" again to eliminate future problems.

And the max cost is a good thing.It also supports the manufacturers who have worked hard to reduce costs to help our hobby grow.

The 2 classes probably is the best way to go.It would be a small stepping stone to move up with the same boat and minimal expense.

Mike,

As far as policeing them,Tech em,impound em,and pull the sleeves on the top 3 at the end.

Man I'll tell you what, you guys are so funny to read and imagine the looks of distain on your faces as you put all this stuff down on the screen! Now on to the topic at hand. I am not a district chairman, spokesman, or even a club president, but the one thing I am is a R/C Boat lover (Hell my wife thinks it would have been easier to marry a drug addict)! When I go to the pond every weekend just guess who is always there? Another rtr guy or the rtr guys who have bought in the past, even more so thatn the diehard big boat guys. And every week I or we help the rtr guys to run their boats with as little problem as possible. These guys are the future of the hobby and we don't want them getting discouraged by blowing up a motor or just feeling like they bought a bouy for 300.00 plus. I think we (the boating community) should embrace this new boat, until it proves that it is not a good buy! Just like the others said after production goes up, price usually comes down. Then and only then should this boat be judged! Who cares if it goes 30, 38, 45mph, the main thing I've found out about boating is you still have to finish the race, no-matter how fast you go on the first lap. ust give it some time to prove itself good or bad, the proof is in the product not the words said before it is even released.

And on the other topic, I and many others feel it should be maybe a 400.00 cap on pricing. Think about it guys, if this new boat comes with upgrades at 500.00 and then drops in price when production goes up then it works for everyone. The guys with the Vegas can buy the turn fin, the new prop, upgrade the rudder, and still be under the tag with no problem at all. Then the new boat will have to decide if it wants to compete in the stock class or the mod class if there is one.

All will be solved in time, but you still have to be willing to give it time!

Cliff

Man I'll tell you what, you guys are so funny to read and imagine the looks of distain on your faces as you put all this stuff down on the screen! Now on to the topic at hand. I am not a district chairman, spokesman, or even a club president, but the one thing I am is a R/C Boat lover (Hell my wife thinks it would have been easier to marry a drug addict)! When I go to the pond every weekend just guess who is always there? Another rtr guy or the rtr guys who have bought in the past, even more so thatn the diehard big boat guys. And every week I or we help the rtr guys to run their boats with as little problem as possible. These guys are the future of the hobby and we don't want them getting discouraged by blowing up a motor or just feeling like they bought a bouy for 300.00 plus. I think we (the boating community) should embrace this new boat, until it proves that it is not a good buy! Just like the others said after production goes up, price usually comes down. Then and only then should this boat be judged! Who cares if it goes 30, 38, 45mph, the main thing I've found out about boating is you still have to finish the race, no-matter how fast you go on the first lap. ust give it some time to prove itself good or bad, the proof is in the product not the words said before it is even released.
And on the other topic, I and many others feel it should be maybe a 400.00 cap on pricing. Think about it guys, if this new boat comes with upgrades at 500.00 and then drops in price when production goes up then it works for everyone. The guys with the Vegas can buy the turn fin, the new prop, upgrade the rudder, and still be under the tag with no problem at all. Then the new boat will have to decide if it wants to compete in the stock class or the mod class if there is one.

All will be solved in time, but you still have to be willing to give it time!

Cliff
WELL SAID Cliff good positive thinking Mike

Jerry T, you sold this boat, were you the original builder of it???? Its obviously not designed by who i thought it was.

is it really the cost, or the mods that matter? i would say its the experance of the racer. i've seen seasond guys run stock classes just to win. could you make it a beginer rtr class? people that are learning things when they start out want to try different things, so i dont think it would be fair in the guys second race to throw him in a mod class if he wanted a different prop or turn fin. then you could have the mod class for anybody. just a thought.

if there was enough draw for the rtr's to race.. you could do hand out motors.. it is hard to police a nitro motor unless you tare them down and take a look.

now if the manufacture made them not able to tear apart.. but then if you burn't a bearing or crank or whatever you are sol.

if you want to police it, it is going to take time. as for the cost. it is what it is.. get with the manufacture and ask them to produce a boat, that will be per a spec class for the impba and namba rules..

that would mean new rules.. and new boats. but you have a clean start.. or impba and namba make up the rtr rules. with what is avaliable right now.

tuff call.

chris

oh, and p.s. I don't know james ( twisted liquid ) but cut the guy some slack.. weither you like him or not he is producing more boats for the entry level guys and gals.. 30 40 50 mph or not who cares.. at least people have some what of a option.

chris

is it really the cost, or the mods that matter? i would say its the experance of the racer. i've seen seasond guys run stock classes just to win. could you make it a beginer rtr class? people that are learning things when they start out want to try different things, so i dont think it would be fair in the guys second race to throw him in a mod class if he wanted a different prop or turn fin. then you could have the mod class for anybody. just a thought.
Is it the cost or the mods? Are you talking about engines here? If you're talking about a stock class, it's mods. However, since many people don't know how to do the mods, it then becomes a money issue. Is it fair that the people who are running a stock engines have to compete against someone who has a modded engine?

The discussion rules that were in the Dec Roostertail actually defined a number of things, such as turn fins, props, etc that could be changed for the stock class. This allows a bit of experimentation without significant increases to the cost to compete in the class.

As far as making it a beginners only class, that's a tough call. Many clubs don't have enough beginners to make a viable class. To provide a venue for people who buy RTR boats and then want to race them, it might be necessary for some experienced people to buy boats and keep them stock. This way, the club has the class available for new people who show up. Also, there's much to be said in putting beginners out there with experienced drivers. Earlier this week I read a race report from a first time racer in Florida. He hadn't learned how to time the start yet, so he was smart enough to shadow a more experienced driver until he learned the timing. I think beginners will learn more by racing with/against experienced drivers than by segregating the beginners. I've also heard many people with RTR boats specifically say they did not want it to be a beginners only class.

you're right, i dont run in that class and have no desire to do so, nouthing against people that do. i do rember what my first couple of races were like. my point was to let the boats race, if there needs to be a novice type of class for rtr, then let it be. i just wanted to get the point across that we should be inclusive not exclusive, the more people involved the lower the costs for everybody

you're right, i dont run in that class and have no desire to do so, nouthing against people that do. i do rember what my first couple of races were like. my point was to let the boats race, if there needs to be a novice type of class for rtr, then let it be. i just wanted to get the point across that we should be inclusive not exclusive, the more people involved the lower the costs for everybody
You are right Jim...this is why you see the Miss A has dropped from 599..to 499..to 399...people buy.... it gets cheaper for me to build them in mass. Because I am American with no china factory in my backyard...My cost is higher at this point. i have been in conversation on producing the Miss A in china, but I am proud of what I do, but who knows, we may make the same decision as say AQU, and get our boat made there. If it makes stuff work better for everyone, we will do what it takes to be satisfing. But I also have spoke to Jerry on this awhile back, and it is very fustrating when you cant just call the builder of your design, and tell him in chinesse to fix what you want fixed on your boat, before the next release. I have heard, your words to the builder, go unheard, when you are tied into a contract of production. It might sound easy to produce a boat in China..but you know what..the work goes on for days to get it right. 7 thousand miles and two languages...with 60 people in the middle trying to earn a dime off your idea...amazing work TEAM AQU has done to bring us a fine boat for the RTR industry.
Having worked and lived in China for 2.5 years, I have a good understanding of the challenges. Keep it MADE IN THE USA, it gives you a competetive advantage of being able to respond to the market faster and you've got better control of quality.

Latest posts

Back