Anyone turbine friendly?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Buck

Hey guys I’m curious if anyone has ever done this, I’m building a HSD f-16 and recently purchased a used king tech k80. Obviously this turbine is designed for aircraft and propulsion driven instead of a real marine turbine, I’m curious if I could mount it on top of a large 36 or 40 inch hydroplane? This produces I think 16-18 lbs of thrust, would this even work or am I just dreaming? Probably with high center of gravity it may not get up on plan? Have any of you boat guys tried such a crazy thing?
My idea would be to use the same turbine in my jet and on this boat?

From What I have be learning about turbines for marine use.....better have lots of money...any water that hits the spinning turbine will reek havoc ....and better not have a blow over....oh...better have lots of money....along with that...both IMPBA and NAMBA as far know dont have any classes for turbine boats...due to insurance and liability issues.

Hey guys I’m curious if anyone has ever done this, I’m building a HSD f-16 and recently purchased a used king tech k80. Obviously this turbine is designed for aircraft and propulsion driven instead of a real marine turbine, I’m curious if I could mount it on top of a large 36 or 40 inch hydroplane? This produces I think 16-18 lbs of thrust, would this even work or am I just dreaming? Probably with high center of gravity it may not get up on plan? Have any of you boat guys tried such a crazy thing?
My idea would be to use the same turbine in my jet and on this boat?

There are boats done just how you mention. Not much use IMO though since it kinda drives like a airboat.

Just saw a video not long ago with one running pretty well.

There only making the last few SPM5‘s that have been ordered after that I guess there not making them anymore. They come as a complete kit. They make upgrade parts but for $4000 you get everything you need to set your boat up to go.

There only making the last few SPM5‘s that have been ordered after that I guess there not making them anymore. They come as a complete kit. They make upgrade parts but for $4000 you get everything you need to set your boat up to go.
Wow very expensive. If boat go to sink down on the pond then waste money

Back