Any tips for keeping a .21 KEEP NR running

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

Hi,

Have a brand new nova rossi .21 OB and have been having trouble keeping it running. Right out of the box it ran well, the following week I could not get it to run, as soon as I tossed it in the water it took off for 10ft and died out. Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, the most common reason for a boat dying soon after launch is being too lean. Could be many other things of course but with the info supplied I can only go the the lean issue.

GQ

Jeff, the most common reason for a boat dying soon after launch is being too lean. Could be many other things of course but with the info supplied I can only go the the lean issue.

GQ
Bingo, check your needle too for any trash, fuel lines for holes, and teak lanks. Can also be over propping it, or the pipe is too short.

Thanks guys, I absolutely LOVE the motor but I think my inexperience shows more with the NR than the OS.....

The pipe is the carbon fiber pipe NR sells for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,

I sent you a PM. Once you richen it up PM me and I will help you get the pipe length set.

GQ
Bingo, check your needle too for any trash, fuel lines for holes, and teak lanks. Can also be over propping it, or the pipe is too short.
teak lanks?????? LOL!

GQ
Bingo, check your needle too for any trash, fuel lines for holes, and tank leaks. Can also be over propping it, or the pipe is too short.
teak lanks?????? LOL!
Corrected
default_smile.png
Guess my old age decided to poke it's head out about 40 years early

I didn't cut a lot off the header for the initial set up, so I know the pipe is long which was fine for break in. Was turning a 46mm 1450 very easily and never got too lean. Had a couple steering issues which we solved then late in the day it wouldn't launch for crap. Flowed fairly on the rich side so not sure the needle could be clogged. One thing we didn't check was the glow plug. It lit enough to get off the stand. Head clearance is whatever came out of the box. Put a stock OS on and it ran fine with the existing fuel system. Will blow out the carb and look at the plug. Ron if you have a length for the header we will trim it down to that.

Mic

Mic,

One quick question. Are we talking about a Nova 21 or 46? I saw the statement about the 46mm prop. Maybe its on an OB Hydro instead of a Tunnel? Just getting some clarification so I send you the right info. Thanks.

Ok. That makes sense now. I will get you a starting pipe length later today. Dont be surprised as you will probably cut at least 1-2" off of the stock header. BTW, look at Jeff's other thread. I gave him some info there but he will need your help. After setting the head clearance, you should be good to go. Thanks for helping him out Mic.

Just so people know the motor is amazingly fast right out of the box!

I am fortunate enough to have Mic to help me other wise I would be totally out to lunch. Unfortunately I waited right before the outboard Worlds in SC to decide to run OB rigger.............I really wish I had more time but I am sure we will get it. Thanks

Set the head clearance to .006-.008 and richen it up, take some prop off and get it running, then start adding prop until its happy.

how many shims would get me close to correct head clearance? Mine wants to come on the pipe but wont. It makes about 1/2 tank then dies. Any richer n it just blubbers

how many shims would get me close to correct head clearance? Mine wants to come on the pipe but wont. It makes about 1/2 tank then dies. Any richer n it just blubbers
What prop are you running? Try a smaller prop and/or pull the pipe out. I've had that issue on a few boats before. If the boat runs fine with an OS, then tank and fuel lines probably aren't the problem. Also make sure the remote needle isn't hooked up backwards. Some needles are funny and work one direction but won't work the other.

-Jr.

I see you are running the engine right out of the box,they are pretty close to being set correct (head clearance). The engine should be able to come on pipe and at least run with a prop that is recommended for your boat.

Here is some advice for you and "ANYBODY" taking the head off the engine and swapping shim's. If you do not have a depth mic and do not know how to check it...PLEASE get someone or send it to someone who can set it for you. '006/.008 is not very much to be wrong with. If you measure wrong and the piston hits the head button,you will have more problem's. JMO

Mic,

One quick question. Are we talking about a Nova 21 or 46? I saw the statement about the 46mm prop. Maybe its on an OB Hydro instead of a Tunnel? Just getting some clarification so I send you the right info. Thanks.
Waaaaay too much blade, go back to smaller diameter. Also open up low side needle for more fuel at launch.

RP

Back