Any paint Pro's here ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis Whitt

Ok,I have finished filling the pin holes in my PT 8th scale.And primed the epoxy hull with "sandable primer".I dont feel confortable going starit to pigment at this time as this primer is pretty soft.This is to be an electric conversion and I will be using clear tape to seal any sub hatches.I dont want to pull up any paint when pulling up tape.

I plan on using Rustoleum paints through out as oposed to taking it to a body shop.

So my question is at this point is what is next ?

There are areas of the boat that have been sanded back down to the epoxy and some areas that are still grey primer.

The top coat will be yellow so I figure that I should maybe prime the whole boat in white primer first.Is there a difference in SANDABLE PRIMER and regular primer.

I just dont want to screw this thing up.Anybody out there got any ideas ?Thankyou.

Dennis, don't you work at a Ford dealership? If you do, hit up one of the painters there unless you want to do it yourself. If your not going for scale colors, my Sport 40 is painted in PPG Ford Titanium yellow, very bright.

I think that a sandable primer is used for helping to fill any pinholes in the hull but don't quote me on this.

Instead of Rustoleum you can look at Krylon and other brands of paints also. Even something like LustreKote would work on your boat if you want to go the rattle can route. With it being electric you don't have to worry about fuel-proofing like a lot of us.

Hi Ron and thanks.Yes I work at a Ford dealership but they dont have a body shop.over the years I have had good luck with Rustoleum paints.Their "Chrystal Clear" is by far the best clear coat I have used.

I have found a "sun Yellow" That is a very good match.I just dont have the 3 bills for a Pro painted boat.

Any painters out there ??

Dennis You may have had good luck with Rustoleum my experience is it takes forever to dry and is tough to wet sand betweeen coats. I use TSC (Tractor Supply Co) brand enamel for color

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=...&productID=9168

and Dutchboy clear(Kmart) best i've found for topcoat. Definetly use a primer same brand as color coat. I'm starting on my 3rd 1/8 (Pico) using this system havent had any paint peel off yet from taping. Finish comes out great. Very important to throughly sand the complete hull before painting and lightly block wet sand between coats.

Dennis Whitt said:
Hi Ron and thanks.Yes I work at a Ford dealership but they dont have a body shop.over the years I have had good luck with Rustoleum paints.Their "Chrystal Clear" is by far the best clear coat I have used.I have found a "sun Yellow" That is a very good match.I just dont have the 3 bills for a Pro painted boat.

Any painters out there ??

108635[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dennis, I have used the rustolem proffesional sprays on my nitro boats it is very tough paint and dries fairly quick They make the primer and i thiknk a clear, it does come in some nice colprs that my mach your job, I know there is a bright yellow.. I found it in a Menards or Lowes PHIL

Latest posts

Back