Any Auto Mechanics on here?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked 6 years as a cert. auto mechanic for Firestone. I would suggest getting more than one price qote. Stay away from dealers, most of them charge upwards of 65 bux per hour or even more.

The most inexpensive way to do it is to either pull out the black light and try to find the leak yourself, and get prices on that replacement part from auto discount stores, and have a ma & pa auto shop put it on for you.

Or just go to a ma & pa auto shop, have them find the leak, and ask if they could do the work if YOU buy the parts from elsewhere.

I worked 6 years as a cert. auto mechanic for Firestone. I would suggest getting more than one price qote. Stay away from dealers, most of them charge upwards of 65 bux per hour or even more.

The most inexpensive way to do it is to either pull out the black light and try to find the leak yourself, and get prices on that replacement part from auto discount stores, and have a ma & pa auto shop put it on for you.

Or just go to a ma & pa auto shop, have them find the leak, and ask if they could do the work if YOU buy the parts from elsewhere.
No try 80+ an hour at the dealership. Joe just put in new wheelbearings on a 98 olds aurora for a friend. Buds chevy wanted 1000 to do them!! That out ragous!! Joe did them plus put new front breaks with rottors and his friend gave joe 200 to do it..His friend bought all the parts. Joe had that car done under 1 1/2...HJ the freon police?? Come on!! The R134 isnt as toxic as the old R12... Plus look at how many do it selfer's has put there freon it there cars...When you replace the ac pump,Most autoparts stores will tell you to get a Expansion valve and offis tube to get the pump under warntie other wise you void it by not buying those parts...

Last edited by a moderator:
you can buy a cheapo tracer kit at any parts store...it will come with a small uv flash light and yellow glasses..then get the green tracer dye..its a PAG oil dye...charge it and look for leaks.....then if you cant find any leaks find sombody with a sniffer to sniff the box while its compressing...best to be sure then to just suppose its bad cause pep boys says so...ive seen seen them leak at the compressor input seal,,,(behind the clutch)...believe it or not it will take several leak detection services to find a leak of that nature,,,as it takes a good amount of run time before the dye starts to show itself behind the clutch...

a small rock being kicked up can very well put a pin hole in the condensor also....its all about finding sombody to spend a little time on it instead of throwing thier hands in the air and sayin ,,,ohhhh evap,,i have tires to change.....pep boys is for tires and oil changes,,,,and i still wouldnt let them change oil,,,your next repair will be the stripped drain plug in the oil pan.

It was leaking I know that for sure!

Pep Boys repaired the AC and for a better price than first quoted and its cooling fine. The guys at the Pep Boys I use down here are good mechanics and have been for years!

ha ha ha our shop rate ranges from $114-144 hold on parts are 20% over list......No wonder im sitting on my hands :blink: :blink:

Back